Shark tried to take our Fish. South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.. clickbait! Where,exactly, is the part where the shark tried to take your fish? All I saw was a curious shark swimming nearby - as sharks typically do!

Also, I know that in certain part of the world is legal to go fishing with scuba gear.. but I still believe it is a very shameful practice if not for very few (and specific) reasons like that one conducted by parks patrols to control a specie. Don't like.

Also, I know that in certain part of the world is legal to go fishing with scuba gear.. but I still believe it is a very shameful practice if not for very few (and specific) reasons like that one conducted by parks patrols to control a specie. Don't like.

You don't know what you're talking about and have probably never done it. It's shameful you would criticize another spearfisherman's method of harvesting a fish. Especially when the method of harvest is the cleanest way to take a fish. I'm also reminded that you Europeans have decimated your fisheries so bad that listening to you criticize the USA about fishing practices is the best reason to NOT do it your way.

European Commission confirms 91% of mediterranean stocks are overfished

US says number of overfished fish stocks at all-time low

Its legal in Florida to do it on OC. We went through this entire discussion last year.

NPole spearfishing on OC is just like being a hunter going to the Zoo and shooting a caged animal. It is so easy to do that it has become the next gold rush and literally thousands of people are quiting their jobs to become professional spear fisherman. You just go in the ocean on scuba get 20 fish and sell them to the restaurants and become rich.

You don't know what you're talking about and have probably never done it.

I know perfectly what I am talking about and yes I never done it, because I'm not interested in the challenge of fishing in a aquarium.
I'm not criticizing any particular country: I'm criticizing the practice. As the same way I would criticize someone shooting birds in a cage with a rifle or hunting an animal in a zoo.

I never done it
I knew it.

If you believe scuba shooters have an advantage over snorkel then you simply have no clue about spearfishing. I'm reminded all the time by the snorkel guys that limit out every trip. No bubbles to scare fish, they are always line shafting (never freeshafting), often with reels so a poor shot still usually results in a landed fish, many use float lines and bobbers so they don't have to fight the fish at depth and instead just let the fish get tired or pull it to the surface. No cumbersome gear creating drag, no risk of DCS, no risk of embolism, low task loading.

If you have any sort of athleticism and take a good freediving course you can be shooting fish better than a scuba shooter with equal experience in no time. I spearfish on scuba not just because of the fishing, but because I love diving too. I like to look at the small life or hang out with a turtle for 15 minutes, etc. In fact, many divers do both. I do shallow snorkeling and never push any limits because I've yet to get formal training and buddy diving is paramount; nevertheless, it's on my to do list because I know I will be far more effective at landing fish without blowing loud scary bubbles. I'd love to see you guys come over here and try to land a near shore Gag on scuba. Aquarium fishing my ass. They do not let scuba shooters get close.

You guys just simply don't know what you're talking about. Go on spearboard and see who lands more fish. A scuba freeshafter or a snorkeling lineshafter.

Last edited:
Do you eat fish? Do you eat Tuna fish? It doesn't matter which legal method you choose to harvest a fish, you still have limits so the end result is the same. If you really want to see something shameful, pull up a video of an eskimo bashing in the head of a baby seal to harvest its fur. Or the way asian fisheries catch hundreds of sharks and cut off their fins while they are still alive and throw them back in the ocean with no fins. The list goes on and on. That diver got himself a meal...

Do you eat fish? Do you eat Tuna fish? It doesn't matter which legal method you choose to harvest a fish, you still have limits so the end result is the same. If you really want to see something shameful, pull up a video of an eskimo bashing in the head of a baby seal to harvest its fur. Or the way asian fisheries catch hundreds of sharks and cut off their fins while they are still alive and throw them back in the ocean with no fins. The list goes on and on. That diver got himself a meal...

Forget just what you eat. Fish are used in so many different products, from lipstick to beer to feeds for other animals, including pets, no one can claim they have no effect. It's all about sustainable regulation. Seriously though, if anyone is going to criticize anyone it should be those who use nets and long lines. That is indiscriminate killing of marine life.

Its legal in Florida to do it on OC. We went through this entire discussion last year.

NPole spearfishing on OC is just like being a hunter going to the Zoo and shooting a caged animal. It is so easy to do that it has become the next gold rush and literally thousands of people are quiting their jobs to become professional spear fisherman. You just go in the ocean on scuba get 20 fish and sell them to the restaurants and become rich.

Florida Statute 372.705

It is illegal to harrass or Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish. Furthermore, it is also illegal to attempt to disturb fish, game or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.

And you never know when the FWC puts divers in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom