Shark tooth photos for fossil divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving southern Florida I did not know that the surface would generally be much flatter and much smoother than North Carolina. The NC offshore "rollers" and "chop" is generally MUCH higher and much more than they get in southern Florida. They labeled me (and everyone else from NC) a helldiver because they knew of the surface differences between NC and southern FL. The southern FL divers are generally stepping into a flat sea where-as offshore NC one could have 6 foot rollers with LOTS of chop. 3 or 4 foot is much more common but I am just sayin. They were strictly referring to the conditions of the ocean.

LOL, that makes sense. Our conditions are usually far from ideal and some people dont handle it as well as others but we are not paying for a nice boat ride or smooth seas, we are paying to dive and sometimes a rough ride is just part of the fun :)

Drum,

My first dive in the ocean was on the Indra in driving rain with smooth rolling 6 foot seas, significant bottom surge, and considerable current. There are exceptions but generally you don't get those conditions in southern Florida and the Keys. Frankly I have come to enjoy the southern Florida 15 minute boat ride to a dive site 2 miles offshore with 80 feet of beautiful blue water and lots of colorful growth and abundant sea life. Drifting in the Gulf Stream when it is slow and steady is just plain easy diving. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Well Drumkiller you should have been out because I saw the Carolina Dive Center boat along with AS and 4 other boats on the ledge Saturday. I hope your finds were better than mine. I came away empty handed but saw 6-7 teeth out of 16 divers with Scuba-Now on board the Phoenix which is a nice new Newton. Great crew and captain that I would recommend. The Carolina rig was a little different from those up near Beaufort but it works. I had one in our group pull a nice size tooth and I will try to get a measurement and a picture. He is a Geology student at ECU and on his first NC dive. What luck! I agree with the Spearit when you drop divers on a spot the teeth are not going to be everywhere but that is a big ledge and the bottom times are short due to the depth so there is more there. I hit 117 feet on my dives. My computer was being a little conservative so I may be changing soon.

More Photos

My newest Killer 5.7" Megalodon Tooth:

My 5+ inch Teeth from a show in Florida this weekend:

080111.jpg

<- thinks Bill has "buckets" of sharks teeth.

Thanks for the photos Bill. You give us something to strive for. I am doing a just-for-fun dive offshore Charleston Sunday the 21st. Its a limestone ledge under 75 feet of salt water. Dug out an 8" fossilized scallop at the site last season. Want to go back. May still be room on the boat if interested.

Well Drumkiller you should have been out because I saw the Carolina Dive Center boat along with AS and 4 other boats on the ledge Saturday. I hope your finds were better than mine. I came away empty handed but saw 6-7 teeth out of 16 divers with Scuba-Now on board the Phoenix which is a nice new Newton. Great crew and captain that I would recommend. The Carolina rig was a little different from those up near Beaufort but it works. I had one in our group pull a nice size tooth and I will try to get a measurement and a picture. He is a Geology student at ECU and on his first NC dive. What luck! I agree with the Spearit when you drop divers on a spot the teeth are not going to be everywhere but that is a big ledge and the bottom times are short due to the depth so there is more there. I hit 117 feet on my dives. My computer was being a little conservative so I may be changing soon.

I ran out to that ledge on Sat but got a late start. There were 4 boats already anchored up in about a 1/4mi area so I just went somewhere else.

I finally got out!!
I think i did pretty good for my first time looking for teeth. As spearit has mentioned, there were quite a few boats out there but i'm not sure how they did. Our boat didnt do so hot on the first dive and the capt made the decision to move. We made up for the first dive on the second dive :). When i surfaced, i was quite proud of myself, right up until i saw everyone else's take LOL. There were some 5", quite a few 4", and a bunch of 3" and smaller teeth found as well as other various fossilized parts of creatures past.
It is a long boat ride but was well worth it. The seas were good, the viz was good, and the company was good. There was a group out of Charlotte on the boat that were great people to dive with.
Looking forward to getting back out there asap.
STP63539.jpg
The inclusion of the can of evil tobacco is for size reference and was what was handy when i took the pic, not a product placement of, nor promotion for, smokeless tobacco products :)

I dive off North Carolina and have found more teeth than I know what to do with... I have given a bucket load away to teachers teaching young kids in schools, family, friends, and neighborhood kids... Here is the one I wear and my very first foray into jewelry making...! Not much but I like it...

Lees finds.jpg

Hey Drum... I see a few fragalodons and shards. You might wanna keep an eye out for a glass container to put the pieces in. Frag jars actually tell a story in themselves

my clunky frag jar (click for larger image)

Nice tie job Lee. Nice tooth. Is the color natural or polishing rouge?

Here is a "before" and "after" of a tooth I polished the other day. I found it about a month ago in the Edisto river here in Charleston SC. Gave it to my daughter. She loved it.

(click for larger images)

My intent is not to be depressing, but I am going to post an update on my friend of 15 years, Phill Myers. Phill is a local river dive boat captain and fellow fossiler. He is not well at all. He has been in intensive care for over a week after numerous surgeries. I have never met anyone that enjoys fossiling more than this man. Lets wish him well regardless of what the future has to hold.

To all acquaintances of Phill Myers: He is still in Orangeburg Hospital. He had a setback on Monday, Aug 1. A CT showed an abcess in his abdomen. He was given several strong antibiotics, in hopes that another surgery could be avoided. Will try to update when possible. We wish to thank all of you who have made calls and sent texts, inquiring about his welfare.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom