Shark tooth photos for fossil divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this killer found by my buddy Jeff around the Golden Beach area of Venice last year. venice10.jpgvenice8.jpg

Al.... that is a really fine specimen. No mistaking the quality on that one. Amazing how an object can survive over the length of time with hardly a noticeable imperfection. Care to speculate on the value?

I spoke with Phill yesterday. He is under the weather. Determination has not been made yet as to the seriousness of the issue. He has not canceled his plans to run the Edisto this weekend and next. The boat is full this weekend.

Mike, you should go with us next Saturday! Phill mentioned your name. He also said my old pal Steve Mischew is driving over from Atlanta for some fossiling.

Anyone getting the itch to do some blue water?

Last edited:
Those are some beautiful specimens. If the weather allows it, i'll be doing my first tooth hunt this weekend. I've already got the gold bug, now to try and catch the tooth bug lol.
Heading out with Cape Fear dive center for a 3 tank trip to the meg ledge. Havent dove with them before but they seem like a good bunch of folks.
Usually i dive with Aquatic Safaris, but i guess everyone else has found out how good of a dive operation they are as they fill their boat real fast :)
Let me know if you get up this way Lee, would love share a dive boat with ya.
Jim

Hello Jim....

I have been on the Hawksbill (one of Cape Fear Dive centers boats). I was happy with it. My ex-girlfriend did not like the fact that they hold your certification card at the shop until the end of the day. This made for and unnecessary and undesirable travel stop after a long day. I forced myself to not make a big deal of it but it was and odd and unusual procedure for me personally. I am not sure but I think the Aquatic boats are faster and closer to the sites. I have not used Aquatics yet.

I would be interested in seeing an opinionated, and factual, posted comparison of the two operations.

I may take you up on the suggestion to dive together Jim. I much prefer good company when on the water.

Your opinion of Meg Ledge would be of interest to me also. I am wondering how picked-over it is. Boat captains do not like to admit or even talk about this.

I have 1 or 2 days experience running tooth trips, so this is my opinion.
As the number of boats and divers going to the same spots every trip has increased over the past few years, the quantity and quality of teeth has decreased. That's just a fact of how popular the trips have become and dive operations running trips to where their customers want to go. Same as how things have changed in the Cooper and Venice over the years. Ever hear the old saying "You should have been here 5 years ago"?
If you have questions about my credentials/experience about running tooth trips, ask your friend, Steve Mischew(we just spoke by phone a couple of days ago), or some others who've been toothing for awhile.

Well, the weather did it again. Trip has been cancelled due to rough seas.
Gonna head up to Beaufort and do some spearfishing now.
Got reserved to go to meg ledge with Cape Fear again next weekend, weather permitting atleast :)
Seeing how i have never been to meg ledge, nor hunted for teeth anywhere yet, this opinion may be premature but i would think that the fossils are in a layer sandwiched between bedrock that happens to be exposed at this ledge. I would think one good storm could expose a lot more teeth, similar to the way a creek in the mountains can keep producing gold year after year.
I'm really looking forward to sifting through some sand where i have some visibility for once :). Dredging in the creeks can get real cloudy real quick without any current.
Jim

A native Venice source of mine suggested March was the best time to dive Venice. I am not saying I would hesitate to go tomorrow. Just sharing some information. He said the local divers hit the bottoms in March and gather the new supply of teeth that have turned up through the winter.

I think Michew and I will be fossiling the Edisto river next Saturday. I am happy with the Edisto fossil production this year from a "hobby" perspective.

I know why Bill's production is good. That is not hard to figure out.

Beaufort is a great town Jim. I grew up diving that area. When I first visited southern Florida and they learned I was from NC they called me another one of those "Helldivers from North Carolina" :rofl3:

Beaufort is a really neat town but i only got to see it from the surface :)
The dive on Sunday got blown out. Got rescheduled with Cape Fear Divers for this coming saturday, so i hope the weather cooperates.
What do you mean by helldivers Lee?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom