shark tooth diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a week in the Venice area. Florida West is a good choice, we went out two days with them. Hundreds of smaller teeth, one five inch meg and six 3-4 inchers. Viz was terrible one day, great the next. We dove from the city beach and Capersen as well viz was impossible to predict. Found lots of small teeth. My wife met a manatee that was curious about the strange things grubbing in the rubble. Caspersen was most productive for teeth on shore....

Did my first surf dive at Venice this last weekend with a couple of the regulars. Thanks to Walter and Jeff for taking the time to educate me and share info. They made me paranoid about mantis shrimp, but better safe than sore.

It is definitely worth the trip. Found a few smaller teeth (.5" to 1.5") some fossil fragments, etc. Nothing spectacular but man is it addictive! Vis was pretty good in the morning on 31JUL although it got worse later. I was comfortable enough to return 01AUG to do a solo and find a few more teeth and interesting shells. Did I say addictive? I nearly sucked my tank dry talking myself into checking out patch after patch of debris and had to snorkel back to the beach.

Thanks again guys - found a new obsession to deal with. (just one more tooth, and _then_ I'll head back...)

(x posted to my Venice thread)

lol. That next meg is always gonna be the next place you look :). It was nice meeting you. Hope to catch up with you again sometime soon.

Not always, but when I find a meg, it's usually early in the dive. The 2¾ inch meg I found on Sunday was the 16th tooth (out of 104) I found on the first dive. When you reach your time limit or predetermined PSI turn around point, stop right then and exit. When your dive doesn't exceed 20 feet, there's a tendancy to cut corners. Cutting corners can get you hurt or killed. That next tooth, looking in that next patch, that next meg isn't worth the risk.

Steve, I enjoyed meeting you, let's do it again. Jeff, as always, it was great seeing you.

Wish I could have been there!

Walter:
Not always, but when I find a meg, it's usually early in the dive. The 2¾ inch meg I found on Sunday was the 16th tooth (out of 104) I found on the first dive. When you reach your time limit or predetermined PSI turn around point, stop right then and exit. When your dive doesn't exceed 20 feet, there's a tendancy to cut corners. Cutting corners can get you hurt or killed. That next tooth, looking in that next patch, that next meg isn't worth the risk.

Steve, I enjoyed meeting you, let's do it again. Jeff, as always, it was great seeing you.

Apparently Dive4FunOften should change her name to "Dive4FunNotOftenEnough" :D

It was a nice day diving, except for the minor annoying red tide smell

Red tide still in effect???? was hoping to go diving this weekend up there..... maybe I will just take to boat out instead....

I'm thinking of heading there on Sunday...

Last week, no dead fish, but you could smell it.

Hey watch it there!

That is the way I feel lately! August 19th and I am cleared!

ReefGuy:
Apparently Dive4FunOften should change her name to "Dive4FunNotOftenEnough" :D

It was a nice day diving, except for the minor annoying red tide smell

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom