Shark Tooth Dive Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I are heading back to Venice for a series of dives on April 8 and 9. We did out 5th and 6th dives after OW cert there and were pretty much overwhelmed with the dives. We didn't have corrective lens for our masks then, so we had a hard time seeing what was there. We did come back from Florida West with about 30 small teeth and a couple of decent, but small, megs.

We'll be better prepared for these dives (2 days with Florida West and one afternoon dive off the beach), but I was wondering if it make some sense to bring along a gardening implement to help "open up" the bottom? I realize that will kill viz in the area for the moment, but when it clears up will more be uncovered? Does that risk damaging what might be there?

Also, is it fair to assume you look in the black "debris deposits" rather than just searching the open sandy bottom?

Any tidbits of info would be greatly appreciated.

ReefGuy's guide is spot on.

I'll add, on your specific questions, how I approach the beach dive.

The sea is a big washing machine. On sandy/clay plains in shallow water the weather does a good job of uncovering things. Although you will probably find some things by digging and blasting holes, I feel I find more by just opening my eyes and swiveling my head. Much of the stuff that's not visible now will be popping up next year. Likewise, the stuff that pops out at you now needs to be picked up now because next year it may be hidden under sand (or an empty ice bag.)

Imagine the bottom is a large scale, self uncovering archaeological site. You can find fossils of all sizes out on the open stretches of bottom where the sand and current are scouring back the clay. This means moving over rather large areas, though. This cuts bottom time, unless you have a scooter. I tend to scan these areas when moving between the natural aggregate "beds," but spend most of my time actually covering those beds, slowly and methodically.

I think perhaps the best way to find teeth, though, is to stealth up behind someone who is stirring the bottom, stay on their six o'clock position and look in their hand and knee prints
:D

I'll probably be going to VB on the 8th. Last day of vacation.

I just realized that the 8th is easter. I probably won't be diving that day, maybe Saturday instead.

N@rco$i$, thanks, but the only reason for that is because 2th divr hasn't written one yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom