Shark tooth cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glass Minnow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and saw a tumbler, one used to polish rocks. There are several types of media one being plastic. Anyone tried to clean/polish shark teeth with one?

Sounds like a way to break and damage a tooth. I would not do it.

Just put tooth in a jar with some dilute vinegar. Wait a little bit. Then all the stuff adhered to it easily comes off. At least that works for NC teeth. Would expect the same for FL teeth.

Don't tumble them, they'll break....soak them in Apple Cider Vinegar.......The coral or whatever else is attached will start to break down in a few hours and w/i 24 hours or sooner it should all come off......

As a suggestion from Florida West I put a Mammoth tooth in the toilet tank for a few months taking it out and picking at it every now and then. Worked great just took along time, but I was in no hurry. Now it is in a display on the coffee table. I am sure the vinegar will work a lot faster.

Do not tumble. You can also use white vinegar cut 50/50 with water. No vinegar on mammoth teeth as it may case them to break up.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom