shark river inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchfin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did a night dive in the Inlet last night and the vis was awsome!! I'd say 30+ ft anyway. No tropicals were seen but there were plenty of other fish to keep your interest. along with the regular things, we saw a couple of eels and 3 stripers which kind of surprised me. Quite a few keeper flounder as well. Having a full moon didn't hurt either. All in all, a really nice dive

I've had that happen to me diving a site twice in the same day :D

We tried to dive Orient Point on Sunday. The stupid forecast said light north winds of 5 to 10 knots and 0' to 1' seas. That usually means pretty good diving. When we got there (after an almost 2 hour drive) it looked like the aquatic version of Dante's Inferno!

The wind was so strong it was pushing me around and whitecaps were crashing 6' up the sides of the rocks.

My NE dive philosophy is that if you want to dive 50 times, you need to "go" diving 100 times :wink:

We come back with dry gear and full tanks about half the time.

Keep an eye on the tide, incoming is clearest, outgoing it murks up.
I used to "drift dive" the Shark River Inlet spearing flounder. The best time to do it was just as the tide was coming in, the water was still murky enough to keep the critters from spotting me, but I could still see enough of their outline to whack 'em.
There are times of the year where the whole bottom fills with eels, and then horseshoe crabs. (flounder run off to someplace they won't get trampled).

Bob3 once bubbled...

There are times of the year where the whole bottom fills with eels, and then horseshoe crabs. (flounder run off to someplace they won't get trampled).

That happens at Shinnecock inlet also. Night diving during the "eel run" is surreal. The whole bottom looks like it's waving. They're also easy pickings if some smoked eel sounds good :)

They're also easy pickings if some smoked eel sounds good
I never could find a spear sharp enough to poke their hide; I even tried using a frog gig. Those things are sharp as all getout but I was never able to even put a scratch on them.
I only tried a few times though, didn't want to tick the critters off when in that close of quarters.:wink:

Never did it, but watched a couple of guys having a field day. It's easy when they're packed that densely. They used thier hands like rakes and just gently shooed them into mesh bags.

They worked up current so as not to be blinded by the ton of silt they were kicking up, and it seemed like keeping their movements slow helped to not disturb the eels.

When I was a kid, my fathers friend used to bring smoked eels over. He would get cow heads from some farm, rope them, toss them under a bridge at dusk, and retrieve them sometime later filled with eels. In case you're wondering, I stopped eating them after he told me that :wink:

Bob, BTW you're welcome to hide out here with us until the DIR wars cool back down in the regular forum :D

Scott

LOL- Well....It's usually always red hot, but I think it's been up around white hot the last couple of days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom