Shark Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnRandy

Reaction score
I have a question. I was wondering what are the ACTUAL dangers regarding sharks if I were on a boat well offshore and wanted to take a swim? I have never done it because I figured the odds were that if there were one hungry shark in the ocean, he would be right under my boat. Comments!

Welcome aboard!

Shark attacks are relatively rare although they do happen. Going for a swim most likely won't entice a shark unless you look like an injured seal. I don't know where you're located so that will play a factor, some locations have significantly more sharks than others and the risk will increase as the number of sharks increase.

Personally I don't worry about sharks. I tend to worry about what other people are doing. (my 2 cents)

I have been SCUBA certified before, but it was many years ago, and has expired many years ago. I guess it is the fear of the unknown. When I was getting certified, I hated surface time because I couldn't see what was going on below me. While diving, it wasn't the same and even though visibility was nill sometimes, I didn't have the same fear. I have never dove with sharks, that I could see anyway, so again, I guess it's my imagination. :06:

that's why you always dive with a buddy ... there's a 50/50 chance that if a hungry shark shows up he will eat your buddy and not you .... remember my 3 simple rules for shark encounters ... (1) if a single shark is present never take your eye off him .... (2) if 2 sharks are there then start back for the boat before any more of their friends show up .... (3) if 3 or more sharks appear then you will find me back at the beach club having a beer telling how I barely escaped being eaten alive ....

If you are well offshore, unless you are dumping garbage, or in a sea lane where they have done so, you will be pretty safe from a surface attack.

While in Aruba last year, we came across 3 sharks. They never bothered us at all and we never bothered them. Great experience.

I've been diving with sharks a few times; a couple of times with species that have a reputation for being dangerous. I have never had a problem. Yet, if a shark were to show signs of agitation I would swim like he!!. I don't have to swim faster than the shark. I just have to swim faster than my buddy.

CapnRandy:
I have a question. I was wondering what are the ACTUAL dangers regarding sharks if I were on a boat well offshore and wanted to take a swim? I have never done it because I figured the odds were that if there were one hungry shark in the ocean, he would be right under my boat. Comments!

you have a dive knife... in a wrestle to the death with a great monster of the sea it always helps to have an advantage. I suggest going for the eyes - it's worked the majority of the time (maybe 97 out of 100 ) I have had to defend myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom