Shark question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
What should a diver do if he encounters one of the more dangerous sharks (Tiger, Bull, and Great White) while diving? Also, when these sharks are present (the diver actually sees them first), how often do they still attack the diver?

DavidPT40:
What should a diver do if he encounters one of the more dangerous sharks (Tiger, Bull, and Great White) while diving?
try to relax. enjoy the moment. assess the situation. keep your eyes on the shark. also keep aware of what your buddy's doing (a friend of mine had a buddy freak out having seen a shark and bolt for the surface).

If it is one of the truly dangerous sharks and it decides to take a bite theres really not a lot you can do about it so try to stay calm.

DavidPT40:
Also, when these sharks are present (the diver actually sees them first), how often do they still attack the diver?

The stats are very, very low for attacks on divers as opposed to surface based water sports. I'd say there even lower where the diver has seen the shark first

JimLap:
Or calmly reach down, withdraw your dive knife from it's sheath, reach over and stab your buddy! Then get the hell out of there when he goes for the blood!

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of fun to dive with you... :05:

SCUBAJENNIFER:
AMEN! :sharks:

I believe the right thing to do is to slowly descend down to the bottom and keep an eye on the shark without moving too much. Many sharks hunt animals on/near the surface (such as the Great White), and have poor vision. Apparently you blend in with the surroundings more on the bottom.

Jennifer, I noticed you're going to Dumaguete, I've got a good friend who has a diveop there, PM me if you want his info.

FS

DavidPT40:
What should a diver do if he encounters one of the more dangerous sharks (Tiger, Bull, and Great White) while diving? Also, when these sharks are present (the diver actually sees them first), how often do they still attack the diver?

The rule of thumb with great whites is...If you see one diving don't worry about it. If he was going to attack you, you would never have seen him. I know someone that saw one while diving in Cal. It checked them out then went on his way. I don't know if that would have been different if they were spearfishing or not

I must echo what sharkbait said, the White sharks we have seen have been curious, they circle a few times and have a look and then generally go on their way Tigers are the same, they come in pretty close though.

Zambezi (Bull) Sharks I am more wary of, quite often have them at Protea Banks. Best advice is to keep an eye on them and stay in a group. It makes for exciting exits back on to the boat.

Every situation is different though, I have been in the water on many occassions with 'dangerous" sharks and have never had any incidents. Enjoy it! Chances are you wont have another encounter

Back
Top Bottom