Shark footage from Rongelap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice, sorta puts my shark vids to shame though!
down.gif

vjongene:
I have put up some footage shot by my son last summer in Rongelap Atoll, Marshall Islands. This just shows sharks (mostly grey reef) in their natural habitat, taking only a fleeting interest in the divers who have come to join them. No attacks, feeding frenzies or threatening postures. But IMHO this is what diving is all about - observing and enjoying. So, here it is in Windows Media or Real format. The quality is not professional, but what the hell... Enjoy!
Very nice footage there by your son, Vjongene-by the way ,what kind of video camera were you using? Also,it looks like some of the sharks you were diving with were Silvertips (the bigger ones that came up close and low to the bottom with a small white or silver tip on dorsal and pectoral fins)...where did you stay in the Marshalls?...Peace...Saildiver

saildiver:
Very nice footage there by your son, Vjongene-by the way ,what kind of video camera were you using? Also,it looks like some of the sharks you were diving with were Silvertips (the bigger ones that came up close and low to the bottom with a small white or silver tip on dorsal and pectoral fins)...where did you stay in the Marshalls?...Peace...Saildiver
The camera was a simple Sony TRV330 (European model) in an Amphibico Dive Buddy housing. No lights were necessary, but a red filter was used for many of the shots.

This was a liveaboard trip on the MV Oleanda, and we stayed mostly within the Rongelap lagoon - it's about 30 miles in diameter, so there is plenty to explore. There are no accommodations in Rongelap. The Oleanda is partly owned by the Rongelap Govt, and does various dive trips between atolls in the Marshalls. Two of our group stayed on as she sailed back from Rongelap to Majuro, with stops along the way. BTW, I can highly recommend the Oleanda for dive trips in the Marshalls - very comfortable, excellent food, and a very friendly crew.

Thanks for sharing the video. I really enjoyed it . I have a video of my shark dive at Walkers Cay and if i can get it transfered from vhs to be able to put on here i will

vjongene:
The camera was a simple Sony TRV330 (European model) in an Amphibico Dive Buddy housing. No lights were necessary, but a red filter was used for many of the shots.

This was a liveaboard trip on the MV Oleanda, and we stayed mostly within the Rongelap lagoon - it's about 30 miles in diameter, so there is plenty to explore. There are no accommodations in Rongelap. The Oleanda is partly owned by the Rongelap Govt, and does various dive trips between atolls in the Marshalls. Two of our group stayed on as she sailed back from Rongelap to Majuro, with stops along the way. BTW, I can highly recommend the Oleanda for dive trips in the Marshalls - very comfortable, excellent food, and a very friendly crew.
Thanks for the tips about the camer, housing and trip....Peace...Saildiver :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom