Shark finning on Texas gulf coast.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So in my local paper there is an article about the state of texas paying japaneese fishermen to fin sharks due to some BS study claiming that the shark populations on Texas shores is at the highest level since 1920, well even if that were true where is the study that says there is a problem with that.
Why are we not paying Texas fishermen to slaughter and maime sharks for profit? I really thought there was a law against this.:shocked2::shakehead:

so I really hope this is some bad journalism, because it seems with my Google law degree that it is illegal to fin sharks in US waters. but maybe not for japanese fishermen and thus the Texas program. but I am wondering if anyone knows the truth.

Link to the article?

Yesterday NMFS declared the 2013 quota at 80% and closed the GOM fishery except for incidental bycatch. The directed fishery is closed.

Sorry Frank old school I read it, like on paper.

Sorry Frank old school I read it, like on paper.

How about, which paper and I'll look it up? I did a google (sounds dirty, doesn't it?) but was unsuccessful.

I was in skippers in seabrook, I think it was a local seabrook paper, I have been trying to google it, so far no luck,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom