Shark feeding, dangerous...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was just pure stupidity....

You don't hand feed with out protection...

I have been on many shark feeds, And I have never had any problems, though the feeder used a pole and he was well protected with the right gear!

The video is mis-labeled: it says "accident" whereas the shark knew exactly what it was doing. Obviously, the human didn't :dork2: In the words of that eminent philosopher Garfield, "That's a definite ouch!" What an idiot.

I too have been on several shark feeding dives in Tahiti(blacktips,whitetips,grey reef,lemons) and Roatan.(grey reef)
Well organized,safe and did not involve any hand feeding at all..and did not involve BULL SHARKS!!!! The food was placed on the reef in both places and we just observed from a distance. It was a great experience seeing these incredible creatures up close and personal in the wild..but I know this is a highly controversial subject that is debated at length!
For me, it was a lifelong dream realized and helped confirm how important it is that we do something to conserve and save them!

This guy was a yahoo and had no buisness handfeeding a bull shark with or without chain mail! Props to him for keeping his head and doing a controlled ascent..though it was probably not necessary? Im sure he wont be doing that again! That was quite a hunk of skin flapping around.

You No Cal folks should read "The Devils Teeth" about the GW's out at the Farallones!

Drew

Natural selection at it finest!!!

In the Bahamas, they hand feed reef and nurse sharks and will actually grab the shark and put them in a trance by rubbing their nose with their chainmail gloves. (it messes up the magnetic sensors in the sharks nose) Then they bring the shark over so you can pet it.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 584
The guy stayed frosty after being bit. Even after he looked at his arm flesh flopping around he didn't cork. Hope he's OK, hope the shark is OK. The shark acted like he didn't care much for the taste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom