SHARK FEEDING BANNED IN FLORIDA...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen two different programs on television where divers and/or a feeder has been bitten during a shark feeding dive. The story last night reported that the Shark Attack Files had 39 such "minor" incidents on record. Just because they were minor attacks and nobody lost their lives, does not mean it's safe to do. Why do you think you sign your life away in wavers to be granted permission to participate? Though the sharks in FL and NC were reported to be Bull sharks, and nobody in their right mind would try to feed one anyway, doesn't mean shark feeding should continue.

When we dive with sharks, we're there to observe nature at it's finest. What's special about a few dozen sharks getting excited as soon as the feeding boat makes it out to the dives spot and rev's it's engines? That's so un-natural it's not even funny!

It's my opinion that: Wildlife should not be fed unless the objective is to nurse a sick animal back to health. I sympathise with the humanitarian effort, just not with the let's make a buck at all costs effort.

Nothing personal Mario, but I saw the guy who said that on TV and I think it's a totally assinine analogy. This STUPID ruling will have [red] absolutely no impact what-so-ever [/red] on the number of shark attacks. Typical of today's type of thinking, it's based on pure emotion and ignorance and a desire for power, with (dare I say) a bit of anti-capitalism thrown in for good measure. Think about this: [red] It's legal to kill sharks, but illegal to feed them! [/red] I've been on umpteen dives with groups of divers. Sharks only appeared one time, [red] when there was food (chum-sickle). [/red] They did [red] NOT [/red] appear simply because there were divers in the water. The next stupid argument I'm waiting on is for someone to say their doing it "for the children".

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
NetDoc, thanks for the story. I knew it would happen sooner or later. Honestly I'll go out on a limb here and be the first to say that [red]I agree with their decision.[/red] A quote I heard on TV a while back, and then again yesterday got me thinking... "If someone was feeding a pack of wild dogs in your neighborhoods playground everyone would be up in arms, but feeding wild sharks a few miles away from some of the most popular beaches is somehow acceptable?!?"

Right or wrong, they acted much like they were expected to. Let's just see if it has any effect on local shark behavior.

No problem Greg, this particular thread will no doubt be one of intense debate and plenty of controversy. In the end we are all friends, and we are here because we love to dive. Differences will arise, nerves will get frayed... and in the end we'll still dive together as friends. :)

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. What fun would that be :wink: Debates are fun and healthy, as long as they are conducted with tact. Make no mistake, I'll be keeping an eye on this one! Let the fun begin! :D

That's like saying you're upsetting the ph balance of the body of water you dive in when you pee in your wet suit.

Originally posted by bradymsu
Forgive me if I'm on the wrong track here since I only dive in freshwater. I've always had it drummed into me that it is bad form for divers to feed marine life because it affects to ecological balance. In Michigan it is looked down upon for divers to feed fish. At one time in the past people often brought dog food, spray cheese, etc. down to attract fish but that is almost universally discouraged up here now, kind of like raiding wrecks. Maybe sharks are different and I'm comparing apples and oranges but it doesn't seem ecologically smart to me and as divers we pride ourselves on being very responsible in that area. Plus, I always agree with what Mario says. He's become my George Irvine! :)

As I've said before, that's why I like this board, we can have robust debates w/o them quickly nose-diving (ha! a pun!) into flame wars.

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
No problem Greg, this particular thread will no doubt be one of intense debate and plenty of controversy. In the end we are all friends, and we are here because we love to dive. Differences will arise, nerves will get frayed... and in the end we'll still dive together as friends. :)

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. What fun would that be :wink: Debates are fun and healthy, as long as they are conducted with tact. Make no mistake, I'll be keeping an eye on this one! Let the fun begin! :D

This really is a remarkable corner of the Internet. Where else can you get into a hot-button discussion and it not devolve to name-calling within seven messages? :)

I agree with Greg. This ruling -- indeed this entire issue -- has nothing to do with the shark incidents being splashed across the media this year. How many miles from the nearest shark-feeding operation is Virginia Beach? (My best guess is 400+, haven't driven it in a while.) Pensacola? (At least 250, and on the other side of the Florida peninsula.)

I've said it before: this whole issue was stirred up by special interests... Particularly spearfishermen who don't want the sharks to come around and check out their catch (they don't want to admit that the sound of the speargun is becoming associated with an easy meal, not their own presence).

Has anyone seen the actual wording of this ruling? I have looked at several sources including the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and haven't been able to find it. From the various news reports, it sounds like the ban is on "feeding offshore marine life by divers or others in the water". That's extremely broad,and broad rules like that concern me becuase they're the ones that end up impacting more situations than was envisioned.

I hope the hysteria dies down a bit before the final hearing and they can lookat this issue a bit more sensibly then. I would rather see regulation than an outright ban, but it won't happen as long as the national media can't make it through the evening news without saying "shark".

Julie

Hey all,

Well I reported the news, but have failed to comment. Not because I am afraid of controversy, but I am very conflicted. I am Boy Scout Leader and have been trained in "Leave no Trace" ethics... "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures", and for the most part I rigidly adhere to their principles. Principles like not feeding gators or bears, or even cute little squirrels. Making these creatures dependent on man for food is NOT a good idea. The worst part is that these cute little creatures are SMART... they can remember. So feeding them once, puts them on a lifetime of welfare.

I am not so sure this applies with fish or with sharks. Sure they can be trained over time, but how much and to what extent are completely debatable. Still, I think I side with not feeding them. It just goes against my conscience.

That being said, I do oppose the ban... but not on ecological principles. Nope, I am just tired of being regulated to death. I like our sport because for the most part we are SELF REGULATED. There are no laws that your tank has to be vised every year... none! It's a standard our industry imposes. There is a law on when to hydro, but not on if/when to vis. There are no laws concerning who can dive on NitrOx or even TriMix. Nope, none... we just do a dang good job of doing it ourselves.

The sooner we can get the government out of our sport the better it will be for all of us. If you don't like "shark feeds" then vote with your wallet. Fortunately for us, there is an economy of scale here. The ocean is quite big and there is enough room for those who spearfish, for those who take pictures, for those who collect bottle fish, and yes, even big enough for those who want to feed sharks.

as routine thing. I was also raised with the leave no trace ethic that NetDoc mentioned. Like most laws or regulations in the US this one is written in blood. I don't think that this particular issue was well thought out--its just reactive politics as many others have already mentioned. Realistically if society or government doesn't want people injured by sharks then all water activities by humans should be banned as another respondent has already mentioned. Well maybe we could all dive in Canada--I've never heard of sharks up there. Of course some people would die while diving there and we would have to ban coldwater diving. Aww what the heck why don't we all just crawl under a rock and hibernate maybe that would be safe.

I think the media played a large part in all this with their overkill reporting.

In a nutshell I'm against the feeding personally; I'm also against the regulation.

Good points on both sides! I've stated in other posts that I would probably have to side with not feeding sharks, and it's mainly because I don't like to see something natural and wild turned into a big petting zoo, whether it be on land or in the water. In my opinion, we don't have enough true wilderness in the world as it is, without turning what's left into a big petting zoo. To encounter sharks while diving is fine. In fact, it's pretty awesome. Feeding them in a controlled envoirnment, not so awesome. I'm just not that into taking the natural and wilderness aspect out of it. I have to agree with some of you though, in that, it gets to a point where government starts to micromanage our lives. Although, I don't think the "Spearfishing Lobbyists" are so powerful of a special interest that they could have such a sweeping effect on big government. No, I think it has more to do with the media frenzy that results from a lack of real news gathering. Whatever anyone says, there IS important and worthy news out there that they could be reporting. They just choose not to. There's much more important things going on right now in the world than somebody getting bitten at a beach. The media, for ratings, plays on the fears of the public, usually the uninformed, and then the government follows suit to appear as though they are solving the problem(or to save their jobs). It's ironic that this legislation is passed in a year that shark attacks are actually down. Thank the media. My prediction is that the new bans will have little or no affect on the number of shark attacks .

........Yup leave no traces. Say..... I'm not sure but do they have Kodiak or Grizzlie feeding frenzies anywhere ?? Be a hoot to watch doncha think.....??? What a stupid thing to hand feed one the worlds most voracious carnavores just for the watching enjoyment of some off kiltered divers. Shark feeding does not promote killing of swimmers and surfers. It promotes stupidity. It does not create human killers, only Hollywood does that. Anything for a buck!!!. Butch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom