Shark feeder loses parts of two fingers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pointless to argue with you. You must be proving the point that money don't smell. But for me they do. I will never pay for a shark seeing trip. I've seen a lone shark, a group of sharks on a dive in various places, like Cosumel, Roatan, Grand Turk. And normally they trying to leave the spot before you even come close.
Only at Provo, where a lots of expensive resorts I've experienced such a common behavior of sharks...
You know what, It is my opinion and I stay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not true. Been on a liveaboard to Turks and Caicos islands last year. We didn't feed any sharks when we dove around Provo. But as soon we go underwater a bunch of reef sharks emerge from the deep and spoil the dive. I don't feel comfortable when a dozen 6-8 feet sharks circles around...
The other places we dove were ok.
I dove a Grand Turk as well and didn't see any sharks at all. Don't count nurse sharks so... And one timer loner reef... Small so...

Oh, my goodness. You saw sharks in the ocean? Naturally? Huh. You didn't feed them and they were still there?

I wonder if that's where they live?

It's pointless to argue with you. You must be proving the point that money don't smell. But for me they do. I will never pay for a shark seeing trip. I've seen a lone shark, a group of sharks on a dive in various places, like Cosumel, Roatan, Grand Turk. And normally they trying to leave the spot before you even come close.
Only at Provo, where a lots of expensive resorts I've experienced such a common behavior of sharks...
You know what, It is my opinion and I stay for it.

Ok, I know SB is inflammatory - but as they say, if you can't stand the heat... Get out of the kitchen! I'm not entirely sure where money comes into it, but yes, I apologize, you definitely spend enough money on visiting all those amazing destinations in the 2 years and 50 dives you've done that the ocean and Pelagics should know way better than to get in the way of your coral landscapes.

I really appreciate your gross generalizations. Sharks are inherently curious, and will usually circle and investigate.

Since you have plenty of money to throw at diving, I suggest buying new gear. It should be entirely black, as sharks are drawn to all the neon colors I'm assuming are all over your kit.

And by the way - Randy's finger was taken off (again, sorry Randy!) by the line of his speargun, not by a shark! I guess fish probably shouldn't be spear fished either, because they're living creatures and we all want to see them in gods aquarium, not in our bellies.

Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knew. You attack me personally on bias that you have logged more dives than shown in my profile. I just stopped logging them and update my profile on the forum. I use forum for getting and sharing information not for showing off or making money for a living.
My point is stop feeding shark, so they will not associate human with food. I strongly believe that recent attacks on a beaches in Cancun in waist deep waters are related to those shark feeding adventures. There no seals in Cancun and no reason for bull sharks to come that close to shore...
And for those who pay for shark seeing and than show off at work when back to NYC cubicle. There is no pride in seeing shark sitting on sand in shallows or being in the cage. Try to show your bravery when you are on a wall at 100' deep and dozen of shark all over you. Above, below, behind and passing just feet if not inches around you. One wrong move and you be bitten be shark. May be in self defense. But blood, sharks and depth will be a dangerous combination...
Sorry for dude who lost his finger. Wish him best luck and quick recovery...

It's disgusting to dive in a places where sharks used to be fed by humans...

I don't get this, unless bits of chum are still floating around when you get there.

We didn't feed any sharks when we dove around Provo. But as soon we go underwater a bunch of reef sharks emerge from the deep and spoil the dive. I don't feel comfortable when a dozen 6-8 feet sharks circles around...
The other places we dove were ok.

And here we go. This point is legitimate, which can be obscured by inflammatory/accusatory language. And it has been raised before in other threads. In a nutshell, some people are concerned that at least at 'shared dive sites' (where sharks are fed, but where non-feeding dives are done with divers who have no idea about that), sharks conditioned to associate humans with food may come in fairly close and check out even divers who aren't part of a feeding dive.

How much of an issue this is, whether and how we should react to it, are issues for other threads where they have been vigorously debated. Given that the overwhelming majority of mainstream scuba sites in the world are not shark feed dive sites, it seems to me, at least, that tolerating a few to be so is not that big a deal. And, if the issue becomes a real world practical concern, it may be reasonable for people who are alarmed at the sort of experience you describe to avoid diving those specific sites.

It's a big ocean. Even the dive able part of it is pretty good size. Hopefully we can all blow some bubbles...

Richard.

Sharks are inherently curious, and will usually circle and investigate.
And leave, not circling for an hour...

Since you have plenty of money to throw at diving, I suggest buying new gear. It should be entirely black, as sharks are drawn to all the neon colors I'm assuming are all over your kit.
I am fine with buying used gear on sb classifieds. My Atomic Ti2 reg and predator dive computer for a fraction of the price. Not bad of deal? Saving money for trips...

And by the way - Randy's finger was taken off (again, sorry Randy!) by the line of his speargun, not by a shark! I guess fish probably shouldn't be spear fished either, because they're living creatures and we all want to see them in gods aquarium, not in our bellies.
Sorry again for Randy. Those little lines could be deadly, you know...

Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No wows this time.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 05:27 PM ----------

Sorry to all normal posters who do not communicate in abusive manner. I am like little shark, when being threaten - bite! ;-)

My point is stop feeding shark, so they will not associate human with food. I strongly believe that recent attacks on a beaches in Cancun in waist deep waters are related to those shark feeding adventures. There no seals in Cancun and no reason for bull sharks to come that close to shore...
And for those who pay for shark seeing and than show off at work when back to NYC cubicle. There is no pride in seeing shark sitting on sand in shallows or being in the cage. Try to show your bravery when you are on a wall at 100' deep and dozen of shark all over you. Above, below, behind and passing just feet if not inches around you. One wrong move and you be bitten be shark. May be in self defense. But blood, sharks and depth will be a dangerous combination...

It may be too late to prevent a thread derailment. When you inject a lot of attitude into making your point, you can alienate people who might be open to a more neutral presentation of your ideas. Just a suggestion. Looking at what you said:

You 'strongly believe' but is there a solid factual basis for that, or is it a conclusion you jumped to? How many attacks are we talking about, and how serious were the injuries?

I haven't heard of bull sharks eating a lot of seals. I imagine there are other things in the shallows they might conceivably feed on.

Discussion in other threads has not supported the contention that sharks accustomed to feeding dives start randomly approaching divers far & wide hoping for handouts. The behavior appears strongest on the feeding dives, and to a lesser extent when others visit the feed sites, based on others postings.

I don't think shark diving is about 'showing your bravery' for most people. And I imagine Cancun loves for those NYC cubicle workers to come down & leave some of that tourist money.

'One wrong move and you will be bitten by a shark' - I think that's over-dramatized and inaccurate. You could get bitten, yes. But I don't think it's too that nail-biting an extreme.

Richard.

P.S.: Your posts & your profile are all people have to go on in discerning who you are. Regardless of who has the highest dive count, it's worth updating your profile. Especially when you make judgmental broad statements on a controversial issue in an inflammatory way. If your profile looks like you're a newbie, it can undermine your persuasiveness.

I don't get this, unless bits of chum are still floating around when you get there.

And here we go. This point is legitimate, which can be obscured by inflammatory/accusatory language. And it has been raised before in other threads. In a nutshell, some people are concerned that at least at 'shared dive sites' (where sharks are fed, but where non-feeding dives are done with divers who have no idea about that), sharks conditioned to associate humans with food may come in fairly close and check out even divers who aren't part of a feeding dive.

How much of an issue this is, whether and how we should react to it, are issues for other threads where they have been vigorously debated. Given that the overwhelming majority of mainstream scuba sites in the world are not shark feed dive sites, it seems to me, at least, that tolerating a few to be so is not that big a deal. And, if the issue becomes a real world practical concern, it may be reasonable for people who are alarmed at the sort of experience you describe to avoid diving those specific sites.

It's a big ocean. Even the dive able part of it is pretty good size. Hopefully we can all blow some bubbles...

Richard.

Thanks, Richard!

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 05:36 PM ----------

It may be too late to prevent a thread derailment. When you inject a lot of attitude into making your point, you can alienate people who might be open to a more neutral presentation of your ideas. Just a suggestion. Looking at what you said:

You 'strongly believe' but is there a solid factual basis for that, or is it a conclusion you jumped to? How many attacks are we talking about, and how serious were the injuries?

I haven't heard of bull sharks eating a lot of seals. I imagine there are other things in the shallows they might conceivably feed on.

Discussion in other threads has not supported the contention that sharks accustomed to feeding dives start randomly approaching divers far & wide hoping for handouts. The behavior appears strongest on the feeding dives, and to a lesser extent when others visit the feed sites, based on others postings.

I don't think shark diving is about 'showing your bravery' for most people. And I imagine Cancun loves for those NYC cubicle workers to come down & leave some of that tourist money.

'One wrong move and you will be bitten by a shark' - I think that's over-dramatized and inaccurate. You could get bitten, yes. But I don't think it's too that nail-biting an extreme.

Richard.

P.S.: Your posts & your profile are all people have to go on in discerning who you are. Regardless of who has the highest dive count, it's worth updating your profile. Especially when you make judgmental broad statements on a controversial issue in an inflammatory way. If your profile looks like you're a newbie, it can undermine your persuasiveness.

I got your point.

As to bull sharks... If you go to Mayan Riviera, Cancun and Cozumel. At many dive shops there is/was a bull shark seeing/feeding excursion available...

If you go to the places where sharks are being fed, it's likely you are there to see a shark feed. If you don't do a shark feed dive, you are unlikely to dive in such a "disgusting place".

It's really your choice.

I believe that he now conducts the feeds on a wreck which was sunk as part of the county artificial reef program and which is a very popular dive site, not some indiscriminate, out of the way location. There are not a lot of wrecks there.

At one moment I had push off a 6 footer with my camera. Not a scary moment but not pleasant, so...
And bringing the point that when you on a liveaboard you can't go and dive other places. So every time we went underwater there were shark show ups in masse...Two days of diving spoiled...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom