Shark Encounter Dives - Is it the right thing to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go to CoCo View in Roatan I always encourage people to go on the shark dive. It leaves the dive boat at the resort almost empty. Best dives of the stay at the resort (and I don't mean the shark dive).

cowjazz:
A recent National Geographic article that stated a live Caribbean Reef Shark is worth $200,000 over its lifespan to the Bahamas because of shark feeding. The result is the sharks are worth more to locals alive than dead. Why? Because of shark feedings.

The Shark Watchers Handbook states there is no evidence to support one side of the argument over another because there has not been enough research on the subject. No one can say for certain shark feedings are environmentally damaging.

I also read where there were no shark attacks within 80 miles of shark feeding locations in Florida prior to the feeding ban. It seems the increased rate shark attacks argument seems weak.

Shrimp boats push their by-catch off boats everyday with sharks in tow. No one seems to mind that.

So, for me, if shark feedings increase people's awareness and appreciation of sharks, prods people to shark conservation, makes sharks worth more to the local economy alive than dead, and no hard evidence that the practice is destructive...break out the chum.

good post, informative. We have shark feedings here about three miles offshore.

DougNR:
I have followed a thread in which the question was asked if a certain shark encounter dive in the Bahamas was a scary experience or not. For the most part, the responses were positive for the OP to overcome his trepidation and go for it as it was generally considered to be a great dive experience.

I was tempted to comment in that thread that participating in that kind of activity while exciting might not necessarily be the right thing to do. After some consideration, I didn't want to turn that thread into some kind of debate in which previous posters would feel that I was being critical of them for their choices. Therefore a new thread to discuss it

I've been in and out of the Bahamas routinely for over twenty years and there is no doubt the concept of shark encounter dives has caught on big time. I for one do not think it is a great idea for the simple reason that it alters the natural behavior of the animal. I can not provide any evidence that shark feeding has been problematic in any specific way. I do know that endeavors initially considered benign later have been found to have a negative impact in unexpected ways.

What do you think?
We participated two weeks ago in a shark dive off of Roatan and found it to be quite thrilling but not the least bit intimidating or threatening. They are so beautiful and graceful when you see them up close. The guide simply carried a bucket of frozen bait down and swam around with it for a few minutes to attract the sharks. The divers then swam among them for a few minutes before the guide pulled the lid off the bucket and dropped it. There was no hand feeding, which I would consider to be somewhat risky and inappropriate. I suppose it does have the potential to alter the animals natural behavior somewhat but it was a great learning experience and just too cool not to do it again when we get the chance. I'm sure many more experienced divers will disagree with me but I loved it.

Charlie59:
When I go to CoCo View in Roatan I always encourage people to go on the shark dive. It leaves the dive boat at the resort almost empty. Best dives of the stay at the resort (and I don't mean the shark dive).
There are no bad dives from CoCo View.

They have stopped feeding in Freeport. Was just there, but our charter was still advertising it on their page though. I was dissapointed at first. But I had black tips and nurse sharks come up close on their own, and I think it was a much better experience for me personally. It was easier and actually very calming to watch their normal behavior than in a feeding frenzy. But, to each their own. But when you feed a wild animal, there will always be risks, that is why most people don't feed grizzlies. They are big, with big teeth, and could kill you accidentally.

Regardless, they are in great need of protection and the more positive image we can give them the better! There are many organizations that have spoken about the feeds and have weighed in their effects. The SHARKALLIANCE.ORG is a great resource for many of the associations that research and protect sharks.

HAPPY DIVING!
Carolyn :D

Back
Top Bottom