Shark documentary by Cousteau's grandchildren on CBS right now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
I just hope Warner Brothers doesn't tell us Superman Returns is a documentary.
You mean it's not? Superman isn't real? Please don't say the same thing about Capt. Jack Sparrow.:D

Oh, and I heard "Push the evelope" three times so there goes the theory that they didn't repeat themselves, and didn't he have a blue
toque?

The only worthwhile thing was the mention of how sharks are threatened and shark finning.

RoatanMan:
And neither of them have that muckle mouthed Franco-Inglesi accent.

This surprised me the most. I went to the same private school as they did in 1979. She was a year younger than me and he was taught by my mom.If I remember correctly she had a very thick French accent and may be even spoke minimal English.

Darn I'm getting old. That was a long time ago.

I only saw the last 15 minutes or so of the show, so won't comment on it.

Walter:
I just hope Warner Brothers doesn't tell us Superman Returns is a documentary.

Oh, my... you mean it isn't, Walter? Darn, it's the only film showing at our theater for 9 days.

You already know I agree with the rest of your post!

H2Andy:
it's not like i didn't say it would, had you read my blog, you'd all been spared

:wink:

Lucky for me I DID read your blog and WAS spared. I think the title refers to the director, not the subject. :D

-Ben M.

ps - I did come across the program when I was channel surfing. I paused long enough to see whatsiznuts stranded on the bottom in his malfunctioning jaws-bot. I laughed and moved on. :lol:

I noticed Fabian Cousteau was wearing Oceanic gear PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED. I wonder if I should buy some too. If it's good enough for Cousteau, it's good enough for me, right?

That's called "prominent product placement"!

Being newly certified I thought I might learn something from the show. Crappy communication, being confined in a fake shark with questionable buoyancy, no escape plan and those pesky sharks. These are professionals. What if there was an OOA emergency. Did he have a rendundant air source? They could ave rigged up a lift bag system instead of sinking to the bottom.

I agree that the title should apply to Fabien and not the Great Whites. For all the mistakes in simple safety issues they made, everyone involved was possessed by the minds of demons with the simple risks they created for themselves.

I too want that hour of my life back.

I am sorry I missed the heads up to stay away.

I would have been in far less pain for that hour if I had locked myself up in a dark closet and drank beer.

What a lame excuse for a television program. If that is what the networks want today, then we have fallen to far greater depths than I ever imagined.

An incredible injustice to the Cousteau name.

Heaven help us for the sequel.

On the other hand, I watched a very excellent documentary the other day on the Discovery Channel with a rather attractive woman who was a freediver. She would routinely dive down to depths of 200+ feet. She was freediving with humpback whales. Much better show than Roboshark: The Next Generation.

This came up on another thread, but this one is in the right area. So here it goes... again...

It was a good concept... to build a model great white that could swim with other great whites with a diver inside. Who wouldn’t like to be a shark for a few hours? But that is where the praise ends.

The professionalism was disturbing. The shark never worked the way they thought it was going to. It swam terrible, had buoyancy problems, didn’t have a tracking system, and after all that, the skin started falling off. If I am not mistaken, this was the first time they tried the shark in the ocean. Now you tell me... who the hell designs a world-first shark replica submersible and doesn’t test it in shark-free water that is about 30' instead of great white infested water, next to a ledge that dropped to an abyss of thousands of feet, and then at night? What an idiot.

They lost the submersible at night because it didn’t have a tracking system. The support divers were at great risk because they had to search for the submersible while it was on the bottom in great white infested waters at night. The real question is this… they used tags to tag a few great whites so they could track them with a directional underwater microphone or whatever they use. Why didn’t they attach one of the tags to the submersible? Stupid. They could have found the downed and unresponsive submersible in a few minutes. There also was a suggestion to troll a surface marker with 60# monofilament fishing line. That is a good idea as well. What is this Fabien Cousteau guy thinking? Jackie (I guess Jacques liked to be called Jackie) should be spinning in his grave. What an embarassment his grandson has become.

I have never claimed to be a genius, but after watching this show… maybe I shouldn’t sell myself so short… LOL!!!

Carl the Cat

Carl The Cat sez:

"Now you tell me... who the hell designs a world-first shark replica submersible and doesn’t test it in shark-free water that is about 30' instead of great white infested water, next to a ledge that dropped to an abyss of thousands of feet, and then at night?"

OK, people interested in attracting the commercial sponsors because of the "drama" factor. It worked because we did see it. It was just a business venture. Hopefully more thought will go into the next project...

Sea ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom