Shark diving on long weekend anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be in for a 3-tank Sunday dive. What would the game plan be: Drive down Saturday, stay the night, and drive back after diving Sunday? I'll need to check my funds first. I'm planning to dive in the Keys for a week beginning March 1st (thanks to a work trip to Tampa).

Steve

I may be in for a 3-tank Sunday dive. What would the game plan be: Drive down Saturday, stay the night, and drive back after diving Sunday? I'll need to check my funds first. I'm planning to dive in the Keys for a week beginning March 1st (thanks to a work trip to Tampa).

Steve

After a 3 tank dive you may want to sleep there and drive back the day after. Its a long weekend anyway.

Steve

That is my plan. I have to work on Monday, but I don't have to be in until around noon so I get to sleep in/clean gear Monday morning. It is a bit of a rough drive, but I almost always drive home on the night of my last dives in the Carolinas. What time does the boat return to dock on the 3-tank? Never done one of those out of Morehead.

That is my plan. I have to work on Monday, but I don't have to be in until around noon so I get to sleep in/clean gear Monday morning. It is a bit of a rough drive, but I almost always drive home on the night of my last dives in the Carolinas. What time does the boat return to dock on the 3-tank? Never done one of those out of Morehead.

I did a 3 tank and I believe we were back at 5:30.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 04:58 PM ----------

One more thing: We have to wait for the right "weather window." This time of the year the sea can get unpredictable so I was thinking it would be best to wait until Thursday and if the marine forecast is looking good for the next two days then we book spots on Friday, leave on Saturday, dive on Sunday and head back either the same day or the day after.

I'm with you on that. I had no intention of booking boat or hotel until at least Friday. I have found in the past that some dive shops and hotels don't really like to give your money back after they have it. I may still have tickets in "the book" for Miss Lindsay from several years ago from a blowout that they didn't want to refund me for and I paid for a room in Wilmington and Morehead for the same night last fall because Wilmington was blown out.

I did a 3 tank and I believe we were back at 5:30.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 04:58 PM ----------

One more thing: We have to wait for the right "weather window." This time of the year the sea can get unpredictable so I was thinking it would be best to wait until Thursday and if the marine forecast is looking good for the next two days then we book spots on Friday, leave on Saturday, dive on Sunday and head back either the same day or the day after.

Got my regs back from their annual checkup, and my tanks/pony filled with 31%. Let's hope the weather people are wrong :no:

Forecast is not showing rain anymore but winds are supposed to be 17 mph. Let us wait till Wednesday to see what it looks like.

Forecast is not showing rain anymore but winds are supposed to be 17 mph. Let us wait till Wednesday to see what it looks like.

Here is the latest marine forecast for Sunday:

[SIZE=+1]SUN[/SIZE] NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FT.

Sounds like a no go to me, especially the 25kt winds. What concerns me more is that the 20 mile + offshore forecast is 25 -35kt and 4 - 7 ft.

I agree. Things are really not looking pretty this weekend.

In a somewhat related note...
I found a good free App to keep up with the water condition. Have you tried Waterman Buoy Monitor (android)? Several buoys in that area are streemed live showing the surface/air temps, swell, wind,etc.

Anyway, my tanks are full and ready for the next try (or maybe Ocean City)

Back
Top Bottom