Shark deterrent... works or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP when was the last time you or anyone you know or anyone they know etc etc etc felt threatened by or even saw a shark while diving?

annoy a shark??? why would you want to do that?...chlorine in the gene pool?

Fear of a "shark" planet? stay at home...

Ahh feeding on the fears of the ignorant, now theres a marketing strategy...

As you ask, the last time, me and two buddies were surrounded by about 70 sharks circling us in a wall formation while hunting at 80 feet depth. You have not experienced that.

And I do not like your attitude.
Miguel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never wrestle with a pig, you will end all dirty and he will have had fun"

As you ask, the last time, me and two buddies were surrounded by about 70 sharks circling us in a wall formation while hunting at 80 feet depth. You have not experienced that.

And I do not like your attitude.
Miguel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never wrestle with a pig, you will end all dirty and he will have had fun"

Miguel, yes you are right my attitude is uncalled for, I apologise. Dont annoy the sharks with lasers and dont hunt in areas frequented by sharks and you should be ok. Oh by the way 70 sharks? really? thats a lot of sharks, what type were they?

They also have a device to find the shark first.:D
Divers personal Sonar

And they have much more goodies.:rofl3:
Click here to jump to the Air Buddy page

I cannot speak for their other product lines but I can assure you that the Air Buddy works and works very well. I have completed entire dives including a sneak cavern dive into a "closed" spring with a small bottle. I have used it below 130 feet. It works just fine and is very reliable in operation.

High power green lasers are excellent for popping balloons, zapping flys, aggravating hornets etc. They also can get you in a world of trouble, say 20 to 30 years hard time if you point them at airplanes etc. The green laser has more range, at least the ones I have used. The beam can actually be seen in transit, not just the dot on the target. Please do not shine lasers at people, animals, tigers in a zoo enclosure etc. I have no idea if they would deter a bull shark intent upon biting you. They could just increase his desire to consume you.

N

... ...Dont annoy the sharks with lasers and dont hunt in areas frequented by sharks and you should be ok. Oh by the way 70 sharks? really? thats a lot of sharks, what type were they?

Of course not, the word "annoy" I used is from my deficient English, better intentioned as to "discomfort them so they go away"

Could not identify the kind of sharks, they looked all same species and size about 6 feet long, the diarrhea leaking out from our wetsuits started to blurr visibility :eek5: We were inside a circling barrel of about 10 animals high wall, we descended to hide back to back in bottom crevices, harpoons fanned out for 5 minutes that seemed 50 until they went away.

It is not a toy to show-off, display nor play, instant permanent blinding. but if it works, it could be a great thing to carry in the BCD pocket for insurance. My safety is worth more than a shark's eyes.

Now I would like to waterproof one of these:

DealExtreme: $120.12 200mW Green Laser Pointer Pen Black

No wimpy 5 mW. I don't expect sharks carry mirrors to fight back. :rolleyes

Miguel

Back
Top Bottom