Shark deterrent... works or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read on one of the other forums that the best shark replant is a dive knife and your buddy. Your knife has to be big enough to cut through your buddies wetsuit though :wink:

I have a tough enough time getting really close to sharks, no need to scare them even more...

Hello all.
Has anyone tried a green laser to annoy/deter a shark nearby ?

Found this gadget: Extreme Green Laser Shark Deterrent

Miguel

annoy?...ANNOY?....as in "let's see what happens when I ******* with that shark" kinda annoy?

good grief son, didn't your Mama ever teach you anything?

I usually jump into the water to deter sharks. It must work since I hardly ever see any.

OK.. so...

But this Extreme Green Laser is being designed especially to deter sharks without hurting them. We have been gradually reducing the power to find that point where it will chase sharks but not be strong enough to hurt them.

and then...

1. Sharks have eyes very similar to humans, with rods, cones, cornea, iris, pupil, lens, and retina.
Scientists believe that sharks see color the same way that we do except, being nocturnal, their eyes are 10 times
more light sensative than ours.
(please note, the spelling mistakes have been left as is...)

Oh yeah, and this...

We have set the power level just below the point where you would need a special license to purchase and use it.

It is also set low enough so as not to injure the sharks.

So, the power is set just below the legal limit before you need a permit - but this is not powerful enough to harm a shark?

A human eye is 1/10th as sensitive as a shark eye, any eye doctor will tell you not to look into even the weakest laser as it will damage your vision. Yet, it wont harm a shark?

So how, exactly, does one gradually reduce the power of a laser to make sure you chase the shark away, yet do not harm it?
Clearly, sharks have developed a method of communicating with humans, and are giving us the big "OK" sign after being flashed in the eye by a green laser. Or, they would, were they blessed with apposable thumbs...

Oh, and this gem:
4. Ask your instructor what color light is most easily seen by the human eye.
It's green.

Actually, it's yellow, but I digress. Perhaps he forgot to mention the underwater part, so I'll let that one fly.

Oh, and just to make it funny....

5. If a green laser is extremely dangerous to the human eye, and it is the most easily transmitted color laser under water, and the eyes of a shark are 10 times more sensitive to green light than a human, and a shark looks directly at its prey while approaching it from as far away as 100 feet, do you think a shark would continue to approach an object it was investigating

People, if you are going to market something, try not to contradict yourselves...

Are those sharks with little freaking lasers on their heads?

Sounds like Dr. Evil is at work again. Mini Me stop humping the laser!

Great now we are going to have blind sharks swimming around with seeing eye dogfish and dark glasses.

Thanks, fellows ! You really made me laugh ! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Yes, the "annoy" part :no could backfire :D. Well, time to try with a big powerful surely-blinding-higher-power-'licensed' laser. :devil_2:

Back
Top Bottom