Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Then you've created the frenzy. What do you think that shark(s) is going to do once he swallows that snack? It's likely he's going to come back to you looking for more. Then of course you are also conditioning sharks to associate divers with a meal. A common problem spearfishermen face in Florida as too many divers give up their fish.

I don't spearfish and a majority of my diving is freshwater quarries, but I am curious... Seems like being between a rock and a hard place. Shark is interested in your catch. Give up the catch, shark eats it and comes back for seconds. So you keeep the catch, but then the shark keeps persuing you for your catch...? I don't like either of those choices!

Ninja edit to add...

Also, is it possible that simply the act of (successful) spearfishing is enough to condition sharks to associate divers with food?

I don't spearfish and a majority of my diving is freshwater quarries, but I am curious... Seems like being between a rock and a hard place. Shark is interested in your catch. Give up the catch, shark eats it and comes back for seconds. So you keeep the catch, but then the shark keeps persuing you for your catch...? I don't like either of those choices!
I'll put it this way, taking consideration of the audience here... Sharks should fear humans, most do (Oceanic White Tips being a hard exception). Those that have been fed, just like bears and alligators, lose that fear. A shark needs to be reminded that it should fear humans. Hence, displaying dominance is important. Most of the time they will figure it out and move on. The ones that don't, just like problematic bears and alligators, learn the hard way. In other words, there is no pursuing you. You'll find plenty of discussion on the internet about spearfishing and sharks, you'll also find very few videos of such encounters because no one, including most divers, want to dispatch a shark. It's not something many are proud of or enjoy bragging about.

I'll put it this way, taking consideration of the audience here... Sharks should fear humans, most do (Oceanic White Tips being a hard exception). Those that have been fed, just like bears and alligators, lose that fear. A shark needs to be reminded that it should fear humans. Hence, displaying dominance is important. Most of the time they will figure it out and move on. The ones that don't, just like problematic bears and alligators, learn the hard way. In other words, there is no pursuing you. You'll find plenty of discussion on the internet about spearfishing and sharks, you'll also find very few videos of such encounters because no one, including most divers, want to dispatch a shark. It's not something many are proud of or enjoy bragging about.

Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation!

Re spears, there was a video somewhere of spearfishers/snorkelers keeping a Tiger away with it somewhere off Hawaii coasts. The Tiger in their video was small, however.

Jumping to end of thread without reading starting points. Was there the day after and for a few days. Sharks were acting crazy. Pretty sure I know why. But they weren't safe to be in the water with. I dive with them multiple times a year. This year they were crazy and behaviour totally different than normal.

Guy is OK, life and leg saved but extremely nasty bite. Boat and guide reputable and good. This was an accident waiting to happen and will do again unless certain practises (for the right reasons) change ASAP.

Just so we're clear this was not the divers fault and I saw plenty more that could have ended out same

I had to get out on one occasion and my buddy got far too much attention. I had mouths open and ready. I saw the change in behaviour and am pretty sure what is was linked to. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. That week was beyond intense. Having to hit the sharks repeatedly and they still wouldn't ease off

If you look at the sharks mouth (white silhouette) it appears it took some meat. No exploratory bite.

View attachment 488534
No exploratory bite. Took calf of down to bone through 5mm wetsuit. Saved him with weighbelt tourniquet and was surgeon on other boat plus military doctor on island at the time. Guy was lucky as hell but much as I love diving there this time sharks were very aggressive

I want to be careful about what I'm saying. Yes they changed waste management to be more eco friendly (NOT to attract the sharks) but it just made them crazy. Just churned up food particles no food but still made the sharks change behaviour totally and in seconds. I believe they are now changing their MO. I certainly hope so as it really is going to happen again in weeks otherwise

Back
Top Bottom