Shark Attack At Ushaka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Oh this is grizzly, shudder, I can practically feel the pain

Should of had a shark suit. Should of shot it with a tranq gun. At least he's alive.

Grizzly - I don't like sharks :) - if it is the same shark as you see side on earlier in the clip it had been shot with a dart just beside the pectoral fin, but obviously the shark didn't want to be pushed into the smaller entrance. I have never worked with sharks, but in Africa I have worked 'managing' many other top predators on land and that is always the crunch time - tranquillised or not when the animal decides it doesn't want to do what you are trying to do and it feels backed into a corner and lashes out.

Not sure of the mechanics of tranquillising a shark, but I think their biology requires a constant flow of water over the gills to allow oxygen exchange, either from swimming or current flow, maybe you cannot knock them completely out in a tank or they will "drown".

Hope he's OK - that looked like one heck of an upper arm injury - P

I think their biology requires a constant flow of water over the gills to allow oxygen exchange, either from swimming or current flow
AFAIK that's correct for many shark species. Not all, though; the bottom-dwelling species can pump water over their gills and don't have to be in constant motion.

Mystery of Sharks 'Resting' on Bottom

Grizzly - I don't like sharks :) - if it is the same shark as you see side on earlier in the clip it had been shot with a dart just beside the pectoral fin, but obviously the shark didn't want to be pushed into the smaller entrance. I have never worked with sharks, but in Africa I have worked 'managing' many other top predators on land and that is always the crunch time - tranquillised or not when the animal decides it doesn't want to do what you are trying to do and it feels backed into a corner and lashes out.

Not sure of the mechanics of tranquillising a shark, but I think their biology requires a constant flow of water over the gills to allow oxygen exchange, either from swimming or current flow, maybe you cannot knock them completely out in a tank or they will "drown".

Hope he's OK - that looked like one heck of an upper arm injury - P

NOTE: I don't go looking for sharks, they just show up. Sharks - The Ninjas of the sea.

I've been diving with the sharks here on the regular for a long time, they are big like 10ft - 14ft hammerheads. They are not scary if you are not actively trying to stab them with something. They do come up close to me though within 3ft or so. Honestly you can't really out swim them and while you can try and stay away - if they want to swim up next to you .... they will.

AFAIK that's correct for many shark species. Not all, though; the bottom-dwelling species can pump water over their gills and don't have to be in constant motion.

Mystery of Sharks 'Resting' on Bottom

Hi Størker - Interesting article and makes sense for some species, I still think this might make it hard to tranquillise safely, a tranquillised shark would not be able to actively pump water so still might be a problem - P

Hi Størker - Interesting article and makes sense for some species, I still think this might make it hard to tranquillise safely, a tranquillised shark would not be able to actively pump water so still might be a problem - P

Anything that restricts their movement too much will send them into rage mode. The ones that need to keep moving anyway. Unless they choose to be still by themselves. I would not want to be the guy that drew the short straw on that morning - get in that tank jimmy and tranq that shark!!!!

NOTE: I don't go looking for sharks, they just show up. Sharks - The Ninjas of the sea.

I've been diving with the sharks here on the regular for a long time, they are big like 10ft - 14ft hammerheads. They are not scary if you are not actively trying to stab them with something. They do come up close to me though within 3ft or so. Honestly you can't really out swim them and while you can try and stay away - if they want to swim up next to you .... they will.

I have a healthy respect for anything that I cannot control or get away from if I need to :) - I love to see large pelagics, the same as large land predators in the wild, but am always very conscious of how small and vulnerable I am beside them. I don't have a fear of them as such - P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom