Shark Attack, almost caught on video Dolphin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pretty cool...typical clueless tourist.

hmmm.... didn't look like that shark was coming in for an attack, more sort of
a tentative pass?

i don't know too much about shark behavior, but it didn't seem like its
"attack" behavior had been triggered...

the dolphin did chase it off... maybe didn't like the shark that close to its pod

I don't get it....so like, the camera guy is just sitting down there saying "hey this is gonna be cool" instead of "hey lady look out!" ? What kind of person is that?

catherine96821:
I don't get it....so like, the camera guy is just siting down there saying "hey this is gonna be cool" instead of "hey lady look out!" ? What kind of person is that?

Catherine I don't think the cameraman could close the distance between the snorkeler & shark. Seems it was just one of those things that could happen in a flash.

Are those your puppies on the avatar?

oh, well he should surface and yell!
...yes, mr X, how nice of you to ask. That is my genetically superior (to Pit Bulls) canine. he naturally knows what to do to make us happy. he does not eat the kids or the bunny. he would like to eat the bunny but he is concentrating on not.

catherine96821:
oh, well he should surface and yell!
...yes, mr X, how nice of you to ask. That is my genetically superior (to Pit Bulls) canine. he naturally knows what to do to make us happy. he does not eat the kids or the bunny. he would like to eat the bunny but he is concentrating on not.

I couldn't tell that it was a Lop rabbit. Cute bunny and definitely nice puppy.

Sharks - not warm and fuzzy, but necessary. Cheers. X

Looks to me like the shark was only looking. i also noticed that as the video plays, the dolphin wasn't swimming towards the shark, but actually went down and veered away. The dolphin never actually moved in the exact direction of the shark, merely down and out away from the shark. And I wouldn't call that a shark attack.

I have a question, let's assume that the person shooting the video is snorkling... Let's say that person is within earshot of the other person and *can* shout too them that there is a shark below....

Don't you think that would cause MORE panic by screaming "SHARK" (scene from Jaw's plays out in my head), the snorkler's all start splashing around making a big scene...

I mean in this particular situation, what could you really do BUT to watch (and of course render aid afterword if a bite does occur)??

This raises some interesting questions for me acutally, questions like:

If your diving and see this, do you bolt for the surface to warn people (thus risking DCS, but possibly saving a life)? Do you take some other sort of action (I doubt squirting a bit of air from your octo is going to scare that shark away, but who knows right)?

I think this thread could really turn into a great topic if we fully discuss the possibilities.

I think I'll go make some popcorn and wait for the regular posters and dive professionals to chine in here :wink:

Looked enough like an attack to me. I Divemastered in The Bahamas for many years and I have seen my share of attacks. The swooping motion from under and upwards looks exactly like the way a shark attacks. And the dolphin's sharp downward movement did seem to directly affect the shark enough to make it veer off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom