Sharing Divemaster Materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
All,

My wife and I are going to do our DM course either in Pulau Weh or Bunaken, Indonesia. We need to purchase materials here and I'm wondering what materials we need and can share. I have already purchased 1 divemaster crewpak.

It seems to me we should be able to share all of the books, but need our own set of slates? Also I wonder if we both need an ERDPml? I'd rather not buy a wheel at all, for either of us.

Granted, "ask your instructor" is the right answer to this, but since we haven't selected a dive shop - and may not do so until we're on the ground over there, I'd like people's opinions before we leave. Besides monetary redundancy I don't want to haul another crewpak around (AirAsia weight limits). Thoughts?

-Scotty

Last edited:
All,

My wife and I are going to do our DM course either in Pulau Weh or Bunaken, Indonesia. We need to purchase materials here and I'm wondering what materials we need and can share. I have already purchased 1 divemaster crewpak.

It seems to me we should be able to share all of the books, but need our own set of slates? Also I wonder if we both need an ERDPml? I'd rather not buy a wheel at all, for either of us.

Granted, "ask your instructor" is the right answer to this, but since we're shopping - and may do so on the ground over there, I'd like people's opinions before we leave. Besides monetary redundancy I don't want to haul another crewpak around (AirAsia weight limits). Thoughts?

-Scotty

Here are the relevant lists from the PADI standards:

During open water scuba training,
each divemaster candidate must be
equipped with the proper equipment
for the diving environment. This
includes, but is not limited to: fins,
mask, snorkel, cylinder, regulator,
alternate air source, buoyancy control
device (BCD) with low pressure
inflator, backpack (if not integrated
into the BCD), where weights are
appropriate, a quick release weight
system, appropriate exposure suit
for the environment, timing device
and depth gauge (or dive computer),
compass, knife/dive tool (unless prohibited
by local laws or regulations)
and at least one audible emergency
surface signaling device (whistle, air
horn, etc).
Instructor/certified assistant
equipment
You must meet the same equipment
requirements as the candidates. In
addition, have two surface signaling
devices – one audible (whistle,
air horn, etc.) and one visual (inflatable
surface tube, flare, signal mirror,
etc.) ensure that a dive flag is
used if required by local law. You’re
encouraged to use a float large enough to
provide buoyancy for a diver with the dive
flag, when appropriate for the local diving
environment. You’re also encouraged to
have a first aid kit and emergency oxygen
on site, if available and legally permitted
in the local area.

And this one:

The PADI Dive Center, Resort, and/or
Instructor conducting a PADI Divemaster
Course must ensure that
candidates have, in their possession,
a personal set of materials for study
Divemaster Course Instructor Guide 2-
and use during the course and for
reference afterward; unless the materials
are not available in a language
understood by the candidate.
Candidates must have a current version
of these required materials:
• PADI Divemaster Manual*
• RDP – all three versions (The
Wheel, table and eRDP including
associated Instructions for Use
booklets)
• The Encyclopedia of Recreational
Diving
• Diving Knowledge Workbook
• Divemaster Slates
• Instructor Guides for programs
PADI Divemasters may conduct:
a. Discover Scuba Diving
b. Discover Snorkeling/Skin
Diver Course
c. Scuba Review/Discover Local
Diving

Summary:
According to standards you'll both need to either buy or borrow everything on that list. Officially it's a standards violation for the instructor to teach you if you don't have that stuff so if you're flying all the way to the Phillipines to do this then make sure you're sorted or you could have trouble. PADI really *wants* you, for obvious reasons, to buy two of everything but given that you live together....and the standards only state that you must have it "in your possession" then you can borrow some of it.

OK, now for what to buy and what to borrow. My suggestions are based on what you'll *really* need as working DM assuming you intend to teach:

• PADI Divemaster Manual* - Buy one borrow one
booklets) - Buy the table if you don't already have one and borrow everything else; after you're certified you'll probably never use any of this stuff again except maybe the table.
• The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving - Buy one borrow one
• Diving Knowledge Workbook - Buy one borrow one
• Divemaster Slates - Buy two
• Instructor Guides for programs
PADI Divemasters may conduct:
a. Discover Scuba Diving
b. Discover Snorkeling/Skin
Diver Course
c. Scuba Review/Discover Local
Diving - I think these are all in the crewpack, borrow one set if possible

If you can't borrow something then you'll need to buy it. Like I said above, your instructor can't teach you unless you have this stuff on you.

In addition, I would suggest that if you intend to start teaching after you're certified to get the water skills checkoff form. I don't think it's included in the crew pack. You don't need it for the course but it's really handy. Also just having a blank slate that you can write on is handy.

Finally, here's a list from the standards of items they recommend for the instructor to have. Borrow what's handy to take with you incase they don't have it in English and/or check with them ahead of time.

Recommended
The following lists materials recommended
in training PADI Divemasters. You
may find other PADI materials that aren’t
listed useful as well.
1. PADI Instructor Manual (for use and
reference during and after training)
2. PADI Divemaster Video
3. PADI Underwater Navigator Manual
and Underwater Navigation video (for
navigation skill review and mapping
assignment)
4. PADI Deep Diver Manual and Deep Diving
video (for deep diving knowledge
development)
5. PADI Rescue Diver Manual and Video
(for rescue accident management
knowledge development and training
exercises)
6. Discover the Underwater World video
(for divemaster conducted programs
knowledge development)
7. Scuba Tune-up guidebook (for divemaster
conducted programs knowledge
development)
8. The Business of Diving (for business of
diving knowledge development)
9. Dive Roster slate (for open water
training exercises)
10. The Law and the Diving Professional (for
risk management knowledge development)
11. The Best of the Undersea Journal (for
risk management, business of diving
knowledge development, open water
and confined water training dives )
12. Peak Performance Buoyancy video
13. Open Water Diver Multimedia (RDP
table and Wheel tutorial)
14. Skill Evaluation Slate (for confined
waterskills evaluation and development)
15. PADI Log Book
16. All training materials for courses
leading up to the PADI Divemaster
level, including the manuals, videos,
and multimedia products for the PADI
Open Water Diver course, Adventures
in Diving program and Rescue Diver
course.

Hope this helps.

R..

E-mail the shops in Weh and Bunaken and ask what they think.......

But PADI standards, as listed above, require you each to have a set of materials.

Diver0001, very thorough and much appreciated. By "buy one borrow one" do you mean a) while traveling I have one, she borrows mine. b) borrow from the certifying dive shop. c) borrow one from home and bring it overseas. Obviously listed from more ideal to less. A couple of option d's come to mind :)

I'll buy an extra set of slates for sure, it makes good sense that anything we actually dive with we'll need two of. I have one table and easy access to another, the ERDPml is supposed to superceed the ERDP and wheel as of 2009, as far as PADI is concerned. I wonder though if the individual instructor might not hold to that as they are used to teaching them and don't want to change. Thoughts?

-Scotty

I wonder though if the individual instructor might not hold to that as they are used to teaching them and don't want to change. Thoughts?

It's not up to the individual instructor. If PADI say teach the eRDPML, then that's what should get taught.

Bear in mind tho', that it's also down to the instructor to make sure you both have the correct materials, as it will be their aris on the line if PADI finds out......

Diver0001, very thorough and much appreciated. By "buy one borrow one" do you mean a) while traveling I have one, she borrows mine. b) borrow from the certifying dive shop. c) borrow one from home and bring it overseas. Obviously listed from more ideal to less. A couple of option d's come to mind :)

however you "borrow" it, the fact is that you BOTH need to ahve your OWN copy if you're in the same group. If you're not in the same group then you can borrow the stuff from each other but if you're in the same group you both need your own.

I wonder though if the individual instructor might not hold to that as they are used to teaching them and don't want to change. Thoughts?

-Scotty

They can't. It's a standards violation if they do.

R..

:

booklets).

I believe the wheel is no longer required, nor is the eRDP. They have been superceded by the eRDPML.

I'm not sure, maybe you'll know that better than me but I thought the changes were effective Q3.

R..

I heard once (sorry, I can't remember the reference - it may have been direct from PADI), that a couple were allowed to share materials...as they both possessed it. It is a different scenario because a couple can both possess one set of materials.

Contact PADI directly and ask for confirmation.

Sorry again, I can't reference that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom