share your jules story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuguro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I think many of us locals, and maybe even some visitors, have dove Jules.. The infamous puddle of... uh, who knows what. Why? Well, it's a very good training facility. :)

I hear all sorts of stories.. from 10 inch viz to.. "I saw some lobsters down there" and strange this 'n thats.. Me, I did my rescue diver training there with my wife, and she was fighting for her life to keep the water out of her mouth! The search pattern dril was a fine challenge, considering I almost rammed myself into one of the wooden pegs.

Well, tomorrow it's my wife's little brother's turn. I'm assisting as DM and it's back to good ol' Jules again. So, I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has a Jules story to tell. C'mon, you've got to have one.

Well don't have a bad experience at Jules, but did my IE there and have since taken students there when the weather was too bad to take them off shore. Yes it can be quite murky at times with vis in the inches and other times I've seen 20 foot vis. Depends on the number of people kicking up the murky bottom.

Have fun and remember to defog your mask....oh never mind. %^)

Good Diving,

10" viz? Sounds about like Venice Beach on a semi rough day... no worries about the water, unless there is lots of foam around it shouldn't be but a little bit of raw waste.. well, technically all sea water has raw waste in it since fish, mammals, etc., relieve themselves there, but hey! :)

Given the location of the lodge pods I'd consider it lucky to have several days of clear water. It's right in the middle of mangroves! From what I can see its been developed all around as well, so.. :)

I did my rescue class there and it was COLD! 63 degrees if I remember. The vis was awful and the air was cold as well.

With the rescue class I remember being in the water and waiting my turn to do the bleeping exercise thinking to myself that the person we were waiting on was a moron and the slowest swimmer in history... brrrr I am freezing in muck water!

Jules been there and seen it. Somewhere up there with the Bok Tower and Spook hill for trips I'd like to do again.

Eric

Passed my IE there - it was the most beautiful place in the world that day.

I went there in Jan. of this year (2006) with our friends who were doing some AOW skills there, since the ocean was 4-6 that day. We arrived shortly after a group of OWSI candidates were finishing up their session.

The water temp in the "lagoon" was 69F... Which was fine, since we (my wife and I)were there mainly to tag along, and practice some skills and weighting in our Dry Suits, while not being on a dive boat.

The viz was a whopping 2.5-3 Feet. I could just about see my fins.

I did see 1 fish while I was down on the bottom.

yeah, about fish.. I remember seeing lots of fish during my rescue search. That was around September I think. It's cool to have something to look at other than the muck while you wait your turn underwater.

Had so-so viz on saturday for my broter-in-law's OW dive 1&2. I was kind of assisting/buddying with him and we did get disorientated as soon as we got in. What's hard is that you can't really sign someone to come back after they've headed into the wrong direction because by their first fin kick, they've already lost sight of you. Man, if only the viz was a notch better, Jules would be such a great training facility.

Did my rescue cert dives there with MB and J.

I'm laying on the bottom, playing the victim, when J starts pointing out nudibranchs to me in the gravel.

Now let me tell you, there's no meaner way to torture a photographer, especially when they have no camera ...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom