• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Shameful service at Dive Sports with Phil

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DirtRider, May 4, 2007.

1. mdb

mdb ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

Divin'Hoosier: I agree. Phil Ellis is a very straight up guy who always, in our experience, goes the extra mile. We have enjoyed working with Phil and his crew for several years. We have never had a customer complaint regarding Dive Sports. Of course, we all make mistakes, the difference is what you do once you have realized your error.

2. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Dive Shop

Again, I agree with you completely. It was USER error. The computer routine that merges the duplicate customers only helped me screw it up very efficiently.

If you will phone me with your credit card number (we don't keep these) and expiration date, I will issue you a credit while you are on the phone. You get the cylinder and the money back! How can I do better than that? Again, sorry for this confusion. Give me a call and I will close the circle. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

3. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Dive Shop

Hi Kari. I no longer use the Access db. The routine for "merging customers" or any other db maintenance now automatically makes a backup prior to making any changes. Much better now. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

4. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Dive Shop

We have been known to give $50 Gift Certificates for orders that we "screwed up" when the order total only amounted to $25. In fact, a couple of people here on ScubaBoard can probably attest to that! Anyway, refunds, gift cards, apologies, and the like still don't solve the OPs basic complaint.....he got some really shameful service on this order.

Phil Ellis

5. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I would still recommend nightly backups, preferably stored offsite.

6. Peter Guy

Peter Guy Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    As the former owner of a mail order business that processed several thousand (10's of thousands) of orders a year, I feel for Phil.

I can absolutely guarantee you that once an order gets screwed up in such a system, it will REALLY get screwed up. It isn't a case of being venal, stupid or anything else -- it is merely a matter of being at the mercy of "the system" that works 99.99% of the time. But that 0.01% is a real doozy -- and for the poor customer, there is a 100% case of NDIR (NOT doing it right).

7. scubacoots3

scubacoots3 Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Phil Ellis and Dive Sports reputation speaks for it's self - Great prices and great service. I along with several other people have purchased several, if not all of our gear from them. My experience along with hundereds of others have been flawless, they have bent over backwards to make sure we are satisfied with our purchases.

All this does is prove that they are human just like the rest of us and that they are willing to work through any situation. I know alot of DS that would have completley blown you off, and would have never given you your money back and let you keep the product.

The fact that they did admit to error and you did get the tank at no charge, They come on this forum and took full responsibility just proves the type of operation they have.

I will fully continue to order from them with no hesitation what so ever.

-SC3 out

8. Blitz

Blitz Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    the guy gets his cash back and get to keep his gear? most people would be happy with a percentage off or something of the like. A total refund is completely above the call. Any further complaining at the point seems.... Whiney?

9. Fish_Whisperer

Fish_Whisperer Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
  10. DirtRider

DirtRider Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The point is that I shouldn't have had to post it here to have things made right. If you read from the original post you'll understand that I exhausted every reasonable measure in trying to get this resolved without bringing the drama here.

I will call Phil in about an hour and a half and as soon as I see that the credit has posted on my credit card account online I will post here to let everyone know he has made it right. I agree that if I get the tank for free he has gone above and beyond to make things right and I would purchase from him again. Did it end up being a good deal??? Well that all depends on how much ones time is worth... I know that most shops wouldn't offer this no matter how much time of yours they wasted though. Looking forward to resolution as much as anyone... Talk to you soon Phil.

Dan