Shallow Divers: Blue Hole Trip or Turneffe Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 60' in the Blue Hole you won't be past the lip, so will see nothing. You don't need to go down to the shelf at 145' to see what there is to see, though - 100' will do (if you can arrange for your own dive guide to accompany you that won't try and get you to dive to 145' on a single al80).

I disagree that it's an unsafe dive. It is potentially unsafe but the way it's accompanied it becomes safe. Certainly sub-optimal, but not in practice dangerous.

there, that is better.

When we visited Belize a few years back the BH dive was high on our agenda, when planning the trip, but after we got there and had a chance to discuss the dive with our op, as a group we voted to skip the BH completely.

Although it is said to be a beautiful dive site, it is well beyond the limits of newer divers, and even for an experienced diver it is little more than a "touch and Go" deep dive, that is unnecessarily pushing the limits on a single 80AL.

Belize has LOTS of other, great diving that does not push limits to their max.

Not so fast there ajeagle. No need to spend the time and money on Turneffe yet either. Nothing wrong or particularly subpar with most of the local Ambergris sites. Enjoy your local dives, do non dive related outings in the afternoons. Use the Turneffe monies to rent a golfcart and get to know the island. Next time you and your friends return, you'll get a few more local dives under your belt and then decide whether or not to head out to the Atolls . . . Blue hole day trip and/or Turneffe. Wishing you good weather and better viz than we had for last couple of weeks.

I agree with everyone else. I am actually diving the Blue Hole next month. My entire trip will be in sidemount so I will have the full benefits of the redundancy at the Hole.

It makes me all warm and fuzzy that you reached out for more opinions about this! :crying:I have read far too many accidents of goal-seeking divers "YEAH! LETS GO TO 200 FEET! IT WILL BE COOL!"...
With only 6 dives, you are not ready yet to do a deep dive of that caliber. Even with an instructor (like if you were doing an Advanced Course), that idea gives me the heebie-geebies. Besides, it costs a couple hundred bucks anyways!

Do another trip and buy some beers with the money you save! :D Better yet, skipping the Blue Hole now will be a GREAT reason for you to come back later when you have more experience and are comfortable making that deep of a dive! :cool3:

Sometimes Turneffe has some wicked currents, and when the viz is bad new divers will not enjoy it even as much as diving with nurse sharks and groupers all over the local sites. It's a long trip which requires that you get out of bed at a quite unseemly hour. Do a "trust me" on my opinion. You won't regret taking this advice. Dive your socks off locally from Ambergris. Refresh your skills become more confident in the water and then go next time you are in Belize.

Actually, I think of Turneffe as some of the easiest diving I've done and great for beginners.

But in any case, I don't think it would be worth the extra $$ and time to ride out there from AC for a day's diving.

Like others have said, save it for next time. I'd recommend staying at one of the Turneffe resorts--Turneffe Island Resort is one of my favorite vacation spots--and doing the BH and of course the atoll from there.

Actually, I think of Turneffe as some of the easiest diving I've done and great for beginners.

But in any case, I don't think it would be worth the extra $$ and time to ride out there from AC for a day's diving.

Hmmm perhaps I am thinking of the Elbow?

LetterBoy - you posted
At 60' in the Blue Hole you won't be past the lip, so will see nothing. You don't need to go down to the shelf at 145' to see what there is to see, though - 100' will do (if you can arrange for your own dive guide to accompany you that won't try and get you to dive to 145' on a single al80).

Did I not say/imply that the sole purpose of the guide was to take you to 100ft? I'm sure your "correction" is very witty, but rather off target.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom