Shallow dive safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last weekend I went on a shallow dive - max depth 17 feet, but yo-yo'd from 8-17 feet during this time (53 minutes). So up we come and I figure that given our depth a 1 minute safety stop should be fine, but my buddy insisted on 3 minutes. That's fine I did it. Definitely no harm done. The 1 minute stop is a hang over from my BSAC training.

What is the general consensus on the saftey stop for such a shallow dive when you are yo-yoing above and below the safety stop anyway?

I agree with Walter that the whole dive was within the no limit category but using a stop is a good time to practice your skills.

No safety stop is mandatory but lots of things that make us better or safer divers are not mandatory...

Jeff Lane

*nods* it certainley wasn't bad for that. I found that immitating the fish was also a good way to get around ie. don't fight the current, go with it and then just hold still :)

That is great. It was not all that long ago that no one would make a safety stop even with a dive to 100 feet. Now folks are wondering about a safety stop from a dive to safety-stop depth.

That is a pretty conservative dive, but certainly, your heart was in the right place.

Dr Deco:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom