Shadow Divers - The U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaCobra

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just a little book review as I was lucky enough to get an Advanced Reader Edition last week. Shadow Diver is written by Robert Kurson and tells the story of the discovery, research and indentification of the German U-869 (the U-Who)that was found 60 miles off the coast of New Jersey. It follows John Chatterton, who was the first to descend to the wreck and Richie Kohler.

The book starts out by spending a little too much time discussing the late Capt. Bill Nagle's battle with alcoholism, but that is my only negative comment on the book. Bill accomplished a tremendous amount in his short life and it is ashame that the last few, not so great years, overshadow the rest.

I really enjoyed the book especially the details that went into tracing each piece of evidence and how governtments and past enemies came together to solve this mystery. There is a lot of saddness in this well told story, but a lot of triumph as well.

It will be released in June by Random House publishing, but I know of a place with a few advanced copies on hand. If you're interested PM and I can send you the details.

More details on the book can be found at www.robertkurson.com.

Jeff H

SeaCobra:
Just a little book review as I was lucky enough to get an Advanced Reader Edition last week. Shadow Diver is written by Robert Kurson and tells the story of the discovery, research and indentification of the German U-869 (the U-Who)that was found 60 miles off the coast of New Jersey. It follows John Chatterton, who was the first to descend to the wreck and Richie Kohler.

The book starts out by spending a little too much time discussing the late Capt. Bill Nagle's battle with alcoholism, but that is my only negative comment on the book. Bill accomplished a tremendous amount in his short life and it is ashame that the last few, not so great years, overshadow the rest.

I really enjoyed the book especially the details that went into tracing each piece of evidence and how governtments and past enemies came together to solve this mystery. There is a lot of saddness in this well told story, but a lot of triumph as well.

It will be released in June by Random House publishing, but I know of a place with a few advanced copies on hand. If you're interested PM and I can send you the details.

More details on the book can be found at www.robertkurson.com.

Jeff H

Hey Jeff, I just started reading my advance copy last night. I'm impressed whith the book so far (although I'm only 20 pages in it).

Thanks for the information. Since I do a lot of reading on airliners, I will certainly get this book and read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom