Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished Shadow Divers! Loved it!!! It really kept me on the edge of my seat and I found myself not being able to put it down! If I had that much anxiety just reading the book, I really can't imagine Johns anxiety actually being there :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

I end up doing a bunch of diving (someof it very mainstream), and I am not that hard to catch up with. You can check my webite. However, I will have to carry my own booties or I will get lazy and fat.

As for Febuary 8th, I am on a shoot, sort of working for a living. If I don' pay the bills, my wife gets disappointed. It will have to be another time.

Cheers

Nice work if you can get it! :D

Btw...Do you need any "cannon fodder" divers (kind of like those guys that went on the expeditions on Star Trek that you never saw after that particular episode!) I'd be willing to sacrifice myself! :rofl3:

John...

Ya still out there...

#1...How did the training session go...

#2...Can you post any pics of the side mount system...I can't recall if Evan was using his at the Norwood dives or not?

Bobby

Would the world not be a better place if every diver was sufficiently skilled to be totally self-reliant and had a similarly skilled and equipped buddy within arms reach whenever conditions permitted?

Yes, but if we were genuinely self reliant, then the buddy thing would be unnecessary? Except for the fun part.

CHeers

John, I have read your posts with great interest. Thank you for posting your thoughts. One theme seems to rise and that is you love to dive. I feel the same way. Diving is great fun and a terrific way to spend some time with my lovely bride who also dives.

If you could pick a favorite dive place, where would it be? Aside from wreck diving, where else? I hope the diving in the Dominican was great!

John, I am a new diver and am looking forward to the many dives in my future. Some of the books/articles that I have read have mentioned that the Andrea Doria is deteriorating rapidly. I do not want to sound like I have "china fever" but your comment above made me wonder...is there anything left on the great ship? Is there any china that has not yet been taken? I have no plans to dive the Andrea Doria, but I am just curious what is left on the wreck.

Scott,

I would guess that there are thousands of artifacts still on the Andea Doria, including a bunch of china? However, the thing that made the Andrea Doria the "Mount Everest" of wreck diving was the incredible penetrations it once offered. We would navigate here or there based on the deck plans, take what we could, and then hopefully exit.

The wreck is aging, much like we all are? It no longer offers the same sort of penetration environment, as the wreck is compressing and collapsing. It is now a very dynamic, dangerous, deep, North Atlantic wreck. As it changes, more artifacts will continue to reveal themselves if you have the eyes for it. You will need to be the right diver, in the right place, at the right time, like most other wrecks. The days of the big hauls are probably close to being over, but one never knows??

CHeers

Nice work if you can get it! :D

Btw...Do you need any "cannon fodder" divers (kind of like those guys that went on the expeditions on Star Trek that you never saw after that particular episode!) I'd be willing to sacrifice myself! :rofl3:

If I can't make this diving thing work one way or another, Plan B is the Golden Arches, so I better make pay attention??

If we ever need any Trekkies I will definitely give you a shout, first.

John...

Ya still out there...

#1...How did the training session go...

#2...Can you post any pics of the side mount system...I can't recall if Evan was using his at the Norwood dives or not?

Bobby

B,

Training went well. I think I am a new Meg certified diver??? I just don't have the card yet.

For certification and training I used a conventional back mount rig. For obvious reasons, the manufacturers can't be in any way responsible for loose cannons such as me who drill, alter, and otherwise mutilate their beautiful creations in order to make then do somethig they were never designed to do in the first place?

Evan had his side mount in NC, but I don't have any pictures. On the boat it looks like a mss, but when you get in the water, everything sorts itself right out. I have my rig at my house but have not been in the water with it as of yet.

Cheers

John, I have read your posts with great interest. Thank you for posting your thoughts. One theme seems to rise and that is you love to dive. I feel the same way. Diving is great fun and a terrific way to spend some time with my lovely bride who also dives.

If you could pick a favorite dive place, where would it be? Aside from wreck diving, where else? I hope the diving in the Dominican was great!

Dave,

Every dive offers incredible potential. Regardless of how well I plan, it seems to me that I never know exactly what I am going to see, or do. That suspense certainly adds to what I love about diving.

In all honesty, with so many great places to dive, I can't possibly pick one or two or three as my favorites?? Sorry?

JC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom