'sexy' ads on SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a matter of whats on your side, it's a matter of the profile that's built on your online presence, via IP, or Google account, or what have you... Your information is part a multi million dollar business... Hell, even your phone is listening all the time to add to that information... Have you never noticed how you will be talking about something with your buddy and then suddenly you have ads and banners for it?
True enough, however I've never used Edge on this PC before, and am certainly not signed in. Kind of Orwellian

Looks like it doesn't have anything to do with browser history. I deleted chrome history for all time, same ads. Copied the link from Chrome to Edge, same ads. I've never used Edge before. Sort of interesting.
The major ad serving companies like Google and Facebook and Apple build up user profiles in multiple ways, including IP address, device IDs, monitoring where you go online and any ads you click. They then use this info to try to get advertisers to pay a premium price for targeting their ads at preferred user groups.

You can get around a lot of this by using an adblocker and opting out of tracking on your various devices and accounts google search - opting out of ad tracking. Of course Google, Facebook, Apple etc. don't actually want you do do any of this so they make it difficult or annoying to anonymize yourself, but it is possible.

The point is that it's easy to get your cookies crossed, so it's best to toss them at the end of every browser session. I do.
How do you get rid of cookies at the end of a browser session?

cookie-monster-1024x983.png

Those are some sexy ads, maybe if we mention Victoria Secret, we’ll start seeing Victoria secret ads….

It depends on the browser, but mine are in settings=>Privacy

I used to really worry about it, but I don't chase after it as much. Browsing through all of my settings, I see a lot of areas I could tighten down on, but they also allow me to look for things a bit easier too. Meh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom