Sewing webbing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not bad... only 20min.

I got an idea about Sewing Awl here and bought Awl, thread, and webbing. It was a kind of mess when I did the first. But, after getting used to do, it is a piece of cake, just time consuming. I am impressed that my hand sewing work appears to be much rigid than the sewing machine job. Hence, whenever I need, I can make Jon line, Crotch strap, Stage strap, etc......

One hint: You had better buy more solid extra needles. The stock needle is so week. Guess what, I broke mine already after the second shot.

I usually use #69 thread in my machine. If I need something heavier I hand stich with a "Handy Sticher" sewing awl or hand sew with a sailmakers needle and palm.

Sometimes I use a soldering iron to melt a hole in the webbing and use a bolt and nut. Lots of ways to connect things together. :D

Also, regular household sewing machines can often be used for more heavy duty purposes if you crank the flywheel by hand instead of using the electric motor. But I am a fan of the auto awl for quick jobs.

Several years ago while looking for a machine to sew backbacking and climbing gear, I found out most thick material is sewn with a machine called a 'walking foot' machine.

At the time, a used 'Singer' walking foot sold for about 500.00.

I have made parachutes, rock climbing harness' and knife sheaths with a simple home sewing machine, the kind that you can get from walmart for $100.00 bucks. First thing is, use a strong needle, use a denim or upholstery needle with a nice big thread groove. Next use the right kind of thread. For that type of sewing a nice type"e" thread will last forever. In a pinch many times I have used upholstery thread. All of these things can be bought from your local sewing center. When things get tight while sewing slow way down and crawl forward by hand. When sewing nylon webbing the needle will easily warp finding its way through the weave, the needle will then strike the throat plate and break. By going slow you can save your needles. Sewing through something similar to seatbelt webbing is no problem with the right technique. Good luck and feel free to email me if you need any advice
-curt-
www.scubacurt.com

I have a Singer 111 built in 1945. Still runs like the day it was built. Motor is new. The walking needle is more important than a walking foot as the needle will pull the material through just fine. I tested some nylon last night to see how strong it was so I took 20 lbs of lead and made a single pass with the thread to hold it up. Can't believe how strong it is. I also have a polyester thread that is bonded with UV resistant stuff. Extremely strong. If you can get a machine with a walking needle and walking foot then you've hit the jackpot. Where are you located I something pretty quick if you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom