Severe Tooth Pain After 45ft Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What youre describing there Joe actually happened to me on a flight a couple of years ago. It was NOT nice..

Was this a lower tooth or an upper tooth? If it's an upper tooth, you may have experienced sinus squeeze. Pain from the sinuses can be felt as though it were in the upper molars.

If it was a lower tooth, it may well be tooth squeeze, due to an air space trapped under a filling, cap or crown. This requires correction by a dentist.

it was an upper tooth. but it was very isolated to one particular tooth. i didnt feel congested. altho a later in the night, i did get congested, and the pain seemed to get worst. today it feels like i got nailed with a right cross. my jaw is stiff as hell.

thnks btw for moving the post to the correct forum. my appologies

Sinus squeeze can cause referred pain in the upper teeth, and it can definitely feel like only one tooth is involved. Tooth squeeze can of course occur in both upper and lower teeth, but the fact that it's in an upper tooth makes the diagnosis more complicated. A dental xray should be able to pinpoint an air space beneath a filling. If the dentist says the filling is ok, a visit to an ENT physician would be in order.

Meanwhile, over-the-counter decongestants and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (e.g. acetaminophen, ibuprofen) may provide some temporary relief while you await medical consultation. Oxymetazoline nasal spray is pretty benign provided it's not used more than three days in a row. It could also be diagnostic if you use the nose spray and the pain goes away. Of course the standard disclaimer applies: check for allergies and drug interactions, follow all medication directions carefully, check with your physician if you're already taking any medications, and stop taking medications if you experience any adverse side effects.

If your dentist and/or local physician are unfamiliar with barotrauma and need to consult with us, our number is on the website linked below.

Best regards,
DDM

thanks for all the info guys. the verdict is in. a cracked filling. dentist drilled it out, put in a new filling, said i should be good to go.

full tank of air i didn't use - $5
Trip to the dentist - $260
knowing i can dive this weekend - PRICELESS...lol

Dental work is cheap over there as well I see...

dentist love to see guys like me coming. in pain and with no dental insurance. they fit me in, no waiting, smiling from ear to ear...lol

I bet..
I just kinda noticed the pricetag as it would cost about the same over here despite most things being expensive here..

Ah, this is just the info I was looking for (yay scubaboard :)).

It pretty much confirmed my thoughts after the weekend. I did two dives, and didn't have an issue until the final 5ft of the dive when one of my upper molars got extremely grumpy. It was a slow ascent and I've never had a tooth feel like that before, nor did I have any congestion before, during or after the dive. It hurt quite badly for about 3 hours after surfacing and slowly eased off. Isolated to one tooth with a filling that's about 6 years old. Probably a hairline crack in the filling, looks like it's time to help my dentist with that new Mercedes he's been eyeing off.

Well it's a been a week since I seen my dentist. The sharpe pain in the single tooth is gone. However, since the filling was repaired, I've had a very sore jaw, and a feeling of swelling and pressure in the left side of my face. ( the side with the repaired tooth). Almost the same sort of feeling as having an infected tooth or whatever. What I'm wondering now is if this is just bruising from the tooth squeeze, or if my dentist nicked a nerve or something.

Anyone ever experience this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom