severe headaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooter_bell

Registered
Reaction score
does anyone have any info regarding regular and severe headaches after a dive? Is it a sinus thing or are there other causes?

Initial diclaimer: I'm no doctor :nono: and don't play one on T.V. That said, my advice is fairly benign.

There are a few possible causes of headaches which are dive related, and I'm sure I won't hit them all.

If you become more congested during a dive, it could be a reverse squeeze in the sinuses. Basically, some of the high pressure air you breathe at depth gets trapped by mucous and as you ascend, it exerts pressure on the surrounding tissues. This can cause pain in any of the sinus areas, but is quickly relieved if the congestion clears. To prevent these types of headaches, never dive if you have a cold or need to use decongestants in order to equalize your ears.

Another type of dive related headache comes from improper breathing technique. If you "skip breathe" - holding your breath thinking you will make your air last longer - you may get a headache. Skip breathing is ineffective at conserving air and may result in a buildup of CO2. This buildup of CO2 causes you to experience an increased urge to breathe and can result in a headache upon surfacing. To prevent this type of headache, never hold your breath while diving.

Originally posted by scooter_bell
does anyone have any info regarding regular and severe headaches after a dive? Is it a sinus thing or are there other causes?

There are two things that come into mind when I see your post
first let me tell you that I am in no way a medical person !
just a fellow diver

it has been known that some ppl are CO2 retainers simply put it means that they are not "ventilating out enough CO2" during the dive. wich could lead to the headace and worse.

also this could come from "cheap breathing" (direct translation sorry !) wich means you try to last the bottle as long as possible by holding your breath and/or breathing "less" than your body realy need.

why dont you try to INCREASE your SAC rate for the next dive, and think of breathing more than you do when diving today.
this might solve the "problem" or atleast ease it some.

it might help, but you should talk to your doctor if it is something else like high blood preasure or something.

good luck

Hi scooter_bell:

There are lots of potential causes for headaches associated with diving. A search of the archives on this site will give you a lot of good info. One thread can be found at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212&highlight=sinus+barotrauma+headaches

The original question wasn't specifically like yours, but the answers still generally apply.

DAN also has information on headaches and diving at:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=30

HTH,

Bill

Originally posted by Hobbs

also this could come from "cheap breathing" (direct translation sorry !)

"Cheap breathing", I like it! A very descriptive term. In the US we usually call it "skip" breathing, I guess because the diver tries to skip inhalations, but cheap breathing is a great term for it. Thanks, Hobbs.

thanks for the replys, i think you guys hit on the nose. i do cheat a little when breathing. im a tall guy with big lungs and i find myself regulating my boyancy with deeply held breaths. Im not sure what to do about it, ive tried over and under weighting but with little success. any advice on keeping my boyancy even keel without the deeper breaths?

Originally posted by scooter_bell
thanks for the replys, i think you guys hit on the nose. i do cheat a little when breathing. im a tall guy with big lungs and i find myself regulating my boyancy with deeply held breaths. Im not sure what to do about it, ive tried over and under weighting but with little success. any advice on keeping my boyancy even keel without the deeper breaths?

well I do have the same problem, or rather I have very big lungs for my size, wich means if i inhale and exhale heavily then my boyancy is affected directly I either drop like a stone or starts the express elevator to the surface. I too helped out my boyance with holding breaths and exhaling and when I did this sometimes I did get headaces/feeling tired after a dive so I try not to do it.
what I have done to try to correct this problem is overweighting myself abit and compesate through the dry suit. the weight is not on the weightbelt (dont want back problems), its in ditchable pouches (I am a recreational scuba diver not technical (yet)) :wink: on the bcd and I have placed them so that I can ditch so that I have correct boyancy if I drop one of the pouches.

this have helped me some but when wetsuit diving i still find myself regulating boyancy with my breath sometimes so I try just to think about it and not do it. just because its easy.

I have also experimented with abdomen muscle movements to increase mass/space when I inhale, with variable success

the best advice I can think of giving you is get your boyancy under control actively, with good boyancy I tend to do this less and allow yourself to raise some and drop some with every breath, at average you are at the right deapth

for me it took 2 hours in the pool actively changing the weights positioning before I got it to feel realy good, now I rarely think of it and rarely have headaces/feeling tired

Thanx for the right name for "skip" breathing ;-)
I feel a bit embarased I should have known that, but somehow forgot it.

Happy diving
:wink:

I am not a doctor...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

As well as the stuff above I've heard of:

1) bad air causing headaches
2) cold water (the dreaded "ICE CREAM HEADACHE")
3) bad fitting mouthpiece - headache caused by jaw fatigue
4) and of course the ever popular amourous husband (but traditionally only in the wife and usually not while diving)

I doubt that you are having problems with 2 or 4 - but number 1 can be suspect if it happens irregularly and 3 if it only happens with certain gear configurations.

Good luck

Hello,

I have been there and it was NOT pretty. What happened with me was bad gas, we think it was co2 and/or co. Some people have a tendency to retain the bad gases more than others. This is one of the down sides to nitrox, and some medication.

One thing that I can recomend is to get a PFT (pulmonary function test) and see how your gas exchange rate is. It will find alot of problems/issues with your lungs. Also very helpful to know what your stats are.

I have witnessed improper clothing, i.e. hoods/gloves/wetsuits causing similar problems similar to this. I have also experienced and witnessed sinus problems doing this.

The other thing I now do religously is check the air quality. I have seem several sites with borderline failing air quality.

This is also signs of dci and should check over your profiles very well indeed.

Ed

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

The other thing I now do religously is check the air quality. I have seem several sites with borderline failing air quality.

Ed

How do you go about this? I would like to be able to check my air quality but don't have a clue how to go about it.

Chad

ckharlan66,

BEFORE you hand over your tanks you ask to see a copy of the last inspection report and the air quality report. If you are in florida and they don't have them posted then they can get into some serious trouble. If they don't have a report then I don't fill there.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom