Setup/buy a diving center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am always suspicious of statements made by sellers or their agents. If a resort is well run, has good staff, is busy enough to "make money the first day" then why is it for sale?

While it may not the case in your scenario, in my over 30 years in the industry, I have never seen a business for sale that the owners couldn't wait to get out. In most instances it is just money. They either don't have enough coming in or ... well ... that's it!:D

Oh ... and as for which training agency to go with ... it has nothing to do with the quality of training. It is all marketing. I know there are a lot of religious zealots that will beat the PADI, SSI, NAUI, etc drums and sing their praises, but you just need a company that will support you for the money you give them. When you list as a resort with one of them, you will be listed in their magazine, given an opportunity to advertise with them and to buy their insurance. I know you are from the online world, but (in the USA at least) the diving world still loves their paper magazines and the best ones come from PADI and SSI. Listing there gets your name in front of your potential customers ... instructors and dive shops.

My advice (and it is worth exactly what you paid for it!:wink:) is to put your business plan together, put your money together and then do your shopping. If you find something you are interested in, go there for a couple of weeks as a client/customer and study the operation. One week isn't enough so the longer you can visit, the more opportunity the staff has to screw up.

Worst case scenario ... you spend a couple of months visiting dive resorts around the globe and keep a big chunk of cash in your pocket. Best case, you find a little gem that just needs polishing.

Good hunting!

Hi rcontrera

thanks for your post, very helpful.

of course it is suspicious about someone selli g their business that just works smoothly on its own but I guess it can happen, can't it? :)

thanks

I'm sure there are a few profitable operations for sale in the areas you're considering. Just be certain you're getting accurate numbers, tax returns and all the other necessary due diligence documents. Making money from day one will, I'll submit, be nigh on impossible. Hey, if it was that easy, everyone would do it!:D

A couple of things: it's not necessary to be an instructor (or even a certified diver, for that matter) to own and operate a dive shop; might be helpful, but not necessary--you can hire talent. If you're looking at this from a business standpoint than a labor of love, you'll be better off. Make it a goal to work on, not in, your business.

As far as certifying agencies, I'd recommend SSI for their business support mentality. They will actually help and train you (as opposed to empty promises you might get elsewhere) on sales, marketing and business management. Any of them will get you C cards (SSI will let you print your own--no waiting!) but, if you're looking for more of a partnership than just being another vendor to an agency, do a little shopping. Do you want to market you or your certifying agency?

Hello fellow divers,

We are looking to invest in a small dive resort/B&B and we need your help to find a place for sale. We are looking for a dive center and resort with accommodation in the Philippines .

We went diving and travelling all over the world,the kids are all grown up and our hearts are now set on relocating to the Philippines . Area Cebu - manilla reachable . It has turned out to be a lot harder than what we first thought to find the right place, so all information, help or tips about small resorts or B&Bs for sale or something that would help in our search would be highly appreciated.

Please contact us gilbertwuyts1@ gmail.com
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom