Settings suggestions, G15 + Inon D2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flylow47

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I recently purchased a Inon D2000 strobe & accessories for my G15 w/DC48 housing and am curious as to recommendations on settings. I've perused the boards and seen various thoughts on G11/G12 w/S2000, but I'm curious as to what any of you who have the same combination as me - or something similar. Do you shoot in P+Auto, AV with F/4 and the strobe on auto, manual, etc. What works for you?

I shoot RAW only and will adjust wb during post. Have been really thrilled with the camera but am eager to see what the strobe will do for me now.

One other question, I don't think the G15 does a preflash and would therefore want to install the magnet in the strobe to disable the advanced control circuit on the D2000. If you're familiar with this feature and can confirm I'd appreciate it.

Have a trip next Wednesday so I'm hoping to get some good feedback by then, and I'll share the results in 2 weeks.

Hi all. I recently purchased a Inon D2000 strobe & accessories for my G15 w/DC48 housing and am curious as to recommendations on settings. I've perused the boards and seen various thoughts on G11/G12 w/S2000, but I'm curious as to what any of you who have the same combination as me - or something similar. Do you shoot in P+Auto, AV with F/4 and the strobe on auto, manual, etc. What works for you?

I shoot RAW only and will adjust wb during post. Have been really thrilled with the camera but am eager to see what the strobe will do for me now.

One other question, I don't think the G15 does a preflash and would therefore want to install the magnet in the strobe to disable the advanced control circuit on the D2000. If you're familiar with this feature and can confirm I'd appreciate it.

Have a trip next Wednesday so I'm hoping to get some good feedback by then, and I'll share the results in 2 weeks.

I don't have a G15, but I did have a G12 and there was some discussion about whether to install the magnet or not. I (and some others) found that the magnet needs to be installed for the strobe work as intended.

I did not shoot P mode, but instead had the following settings (and still do, but now on the G1 X):

C1: Tv (1/125), ISO 100, flash on (at first: TTL Low, but later manual at around "4 o'clock") -----> wide angle with flash
C2: Av (f/8.0), ISO 100, flash on (at first: TTL Low, but later manual at around "4 o'clock") -----> macro

Tv: 1/100, ISO 100 (or 200), flash off ----> normal wide angle photos (well, as wide as it got with the G12)

I would recommend the following for the d2000 with canon compacts
1. Magnet installed
2. Set strobe to auto
3. Make sure you have the auto diffuser as the TTL one that comes with the strobe doesn't function properly with this setting
4. Set camera flash to minimum
5. Use manual settings and match aperture on camera with strobe power dial
6. Adjust power dial if required

The above for any close up shot you can aim the strobe directly at the subject
For shots where you don't aim the strobe to the subject same as before except set the strobe to manual and use 2nd dial to regulate it will depend on subject distance and aperture what you choose. In this case the normal TTL diffuser that comes with the strobe works

Avoid shooting in P/Av/Tv modes although you can use the strobe in ttl the results are inferior to manual+strobe in external auto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom