Setting up transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveDog

Contributor
Reaction score
Any sugestions on setting up transpac II. I wll be using a single tank for moderatlly shallow rec diving <100ft. I am a very large man 280 lbs. Most dives will be very cold water.

Thank you,

Dave

For singles - make sure you snug the bungee down as tight as it wll go - evenly on both sides - so the wing won't wrap around your tank. Besides that - it's pretty self explanatory.

i have been diving with a trans-pack II for 3 years now. I can tell you that you do not want to tighten those bungees. If you tighten them, then you will have trouble orally inflating. It will also cause the over pressure relief valve to kick in and not provide you with the lift that the wings are capable of.

You have much more experience than I do diving the Transpac - but the manual specifically outlines tightening the bungees on the Rec wing when diving with singles. I'm not sure if this applies to all of their bungied wings. When I first got the Transpac, I was a little worried about this, so I spent a day at the pool trying it with and without the bungees tightened. I experienced pelthy of tank wrap without tightening - but this was much reduced once I tightened down the bungees. I have had no trouble with the pressure relief valve or orally inflating the wing, but I'm a big guy so lung volume/pressure is not an issue. (OK, ok - I'll say it before anyone else - yes I'm a 'blow-hard' <S>)

I dive my tranpac II everyday with single tanks. The travel wing gives more than enough lift for a properly weighted diver. Even enough to support the 8 EXTRA pounds I have on each dive for clients. Also, no bungees to worry about.

Setting up the pac is pretty simple. If in doubt ask your local dealer for advice or direction.

Happy diving
Chris

What would the best wings for single tank i'll be using a thick wet suit remember 280lbs up to 100 ft

Dave

For cold water with a thick wetsuit, I use a trek wing. I've been using my Halcyon more and more now. In fact I haven't used my Transpac this year at all. The Trek wing is about a 40lb lift wing. I think the Rec is about a 50lb lift wing. I use the trek with a single HP100 steel and don't tighten the bunjees. The trek is good with dual AL80's too.

Originally posted by Mverick
I've been using my Halcyon more and more now. In fact I haven't used my Transpac this year at all.

Do you prefer the Halcyon? What are its benefits compared to the Transpac?

What are the nessesary components that i should buy? I am new and am not sure exactly what is nessesary do you need to buy more than the harrness and wing?

Dave

Go to the Dive-Rite website here. There are options on the transpac. Make sure you order it the way you want it. I have the integrated weights. Sometimes I think a weight belt would be easier. I have a harness belt rather than a cumberbun. I like it a lot better. You can get the tec backpad or the sport back pad. also there are several wings to choose from.

I just bought a Fred T heavy backplate and harness.. I put my rec-wings on it. I haven't had the chance to try it in the water yet,but it looks and feels like it's going to be sweet! :D

I plan on putting travel wings on my Transpac II and using it for singles or maybe just Florida/Caribbean trips.

You may want to look into a Backplate and wings before investing in the transpac. either way, good choice! :thumb:

Keep us posted on your progress!

To answer your question, you need a BP/harness/wing or in the case of the transpac, a harness and wing.

Back
Top Bottom