Setting up harness for Deep6 bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m sure it’s just a beginner’s “I don’t know what the h*ll I’m doing” thing. I took it out of the pretty box it came in, unwound the 84” primary hose I chose (I’m questioning this choice) and wound it around myself, then put the reg in my mouth and it felt heavy, heavy enough that it was falling out of my mouth. So I don’t know if I have a small mouth or I just need to change the mouthpiece to better fit me. I tried it different ways without biting too hard for fear of biting through the mouthpiece but it kept falling out. I was going to contact Deep 6 and ask them for their thoughts on how to remedy the situation but haven’t gone around to it yet. So that’s what I meant.

This is my first set of regs ever and I have only used plastic rental regs in the past. I did not realize that good quality regs were this substantial in weight. I’m wondering if I should’ve just bought cheap plastic regs!

Just pointing out an interesting factor about reg weight on dry land. Regs aren't designed for dry land use while standing vertical.

Evaluating dive equipment in the environment it wasn't designed for makes for an unsatisfactory experience.

I haven't experienced a deep 6 reg yet but I'd be interested to hear how you experience it underwater.

Regards,
Cameron

Just pointing out an interesting factor about reg weight on dry land. Regs aren't designed for dry land use while standing vertical.

Evaluating dive equipment in the environment it wasn't designed for makes for an unsatisfactory experience.

I haven't experienced a deep 6 reg yet but I'd be interested to hear how you experience it underwater.

Regards,
Cameron

Thanks for that pointer. That also came into my mind.

Thanks for that pointer. That also came into my mind.

I'm really ungraceful and awkward in gear on land... You could see me trying to walk in SM. All faded away underwater.... But I do look ungraceful.

It hit me the first time I bench dove a rebreather... Couldn't make sense of why it had those copper rings dragging my mouth down... Wanted to remove them... And then remembered how floaty a double hose reg is... And was glad the loop was adjusted to be confortable underwater.

About the equipment setup... If any help is needed feel free to post some pictures and I'm sure a bunch of us will have opinions. It is a very personal thing, deciding how you like your ring placements.

The deep6 second stage is a bit heavy and large for some people. I like it but my wife uses a Mikron second with her deep6 first stage regulator. She only uses the Mikron for her primary due to her small mouth. The downside is having to get that one part serviced by a dealer while everything else we use can be serviced by us. She prefers the swiveling first stage by deep6 to the fixed Mikron first stage that she used before.

The deep6 second stage is a bit heavy and large for some people. I like it but my wife uses a Mikron second with her deep6 first stage regulator. She only uses the Mikron for her primary due to her small mouth. The downside is having to get that one part serviced by a dealer while everything else we use can be serviced by us. She prefers the swiveling first stage by deep6 to the fixed Mikron first stage that she used before.

Yeah, it just didn’t occur to me that size and weight would pose a problem. If it cannot be resolved then perhaps I too will need to get a micron 2nd stage. But I’m really hoping that Deep 6 will help me figure out a solution cause I really want it to work.

I’m gonna notify @cerich of our discussion so he can weigh in if he wishes.

To the OP, @Ioncloud9 , so very sorry I seemed to have hijacked your post.

Yeah, it just didn’t occur to me that size and weight would pose a problem. If it cannot be resolved then perhaps I too will need to get a micron 2nd stage. But I’m really hoping that Deep 6 will help me figure out a solution cause I really want it to work.

I’m gonna notify @cerich of our discussion so he can weigh in if he wishes.

To the OP, @Ioncloud9 , so very sorry I seemed to have hijacked your post.

Thats ok. I also noticed my Deep 6 second stage was on the heavier side on dry land. I also put an omni swivel on it, so that added a little more weight. In the water though it was fine. My girlfriend also has a smaller mouth but she really likes the deep 6 regs. I configured them both to be the same with omni swivels. Highly recommend.

I would dive it first and also try an Aqualung comfobite mouthpiece. They make two sizes. Try both. If you like the mouthpiece but the reg still feels too big while you are in the water, then you can use the mouthpiece as a spare for the Mikron. It comes with the small size comfobite.

Oh and the 84" hose made my wife and I like our gear much better with no need for a swivel. It gives you the right angle of approach and the flexibility in use.

I would dive it first and also try an Aqualung comfobite mouthpiece. They make two sizes. Try both. If you like the mouthpiece but the reg still feels too big while you are in the water, then you can use the mouthpiece as a spare for the Mikron. It comes with the small size comfobite.

Oh and the 84" hose made my wife and I like our gear much better with no need for a swivel. It gives you the right angle of approach and the flexibility in use.

Thanks @RayfromTX , thanks for your tips. I will definitely try the Aqualung comfobite mouthpieces and dive them in the pool. I'm really hoping I like the 84" hose setup too.

I was really hoping to get this kit all sorted out before I go on my trip to Coz later this month. I gotta hurry!

Thats ok. I also noticed my Deep 6 second stage was on the heavier side on dry land. I also put an omni swivel on it, so that added a little more weight. In the water though it was fine. My girlfriend also has a smaller mouth but she really likes the deep 6 regs. I configured them both to be the same with omni swivels. Highly recommend.

@Ioncloud9, did your girlfriend change her mouthpiece?

Thanks @RayfromTX , thanks for your tips. I will definitely try the Aqualung comfobite mouthpieces and dive them in the pool. I'm really hoping I like the 84" hose setup too.

I was really hoping to get this kit all sorted out before I go on my trip to Coz later this month. I gotta hurry!

@Ioncloud9, did your girlfriend change her mouthpiece?
No she uses the one that came with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom