Setting up BP/W - Questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WW is right...the current teaching has been changed to caveline for everything except RB bailouts.

OK, the buckle is on, crotch strap adjusted (I think), and all seems to be fitting well.

Next question: the STA. The Oxycheq plate has 2 holes that the top portion of the STA can be attached to; one, however, is covered by the webbing. Is there anything wrong with just using the uppermost (open) holes to attach the STA & leave the webbing covering the other hole?

The only reason I bring this up is that I've seen in a couple places (GI's schematic & one of the "how to web a harness" sites) that a burn hole is to be made through the webbing into one of the holes of the plate. Should I do this, or does the STA & the weave of the webbing hold things in place well enough on their own?

Pictures would be helpful....see attached.

Thanks,
Jim

The webbing should have a brass or SS grommet put through it that aligns with the hole in the plate. This is the top mount for either doubles or an STA.

The bottom hole is not obstructed.

The reason for the grommet is to prevent any possibility of the webbing shifting while you are wearing the rig. I use a brass grommet, since they're easily applied and available in any decent boat store in the proper size.

If you use the top hole the standard spacing will not be maintained. For a single-piece STA it probably won't work at all; for a 2-piece it will likely cause the tank to be too high when mounted, as the break of the tank will be below the top cam-band. Also, for doubles, it won't work for the same reason; the tanks will be too high even if you set up your own bands, and someone who has "standard" sets of doubles definitely will have problems as the holes simply won't line up with where the bolts are.

Genesis:
The webbing should have a brass or SS grommet put through it that aligns with the hole in the plate. This is the top mount for either doubles or an STA.

The bottom hole is not obstructed.

The reason for the grommet is to prevent any possibility of the webbing shifting while you are wearing the rig. I use a brass grommet, since they're easily applied and available in any decent boat store in the proper size.

If you use the top hole the standard spacing will not be maintained. For a single-piece STA it probably won't work at all; for a 2-piece it will likely cause the tank to be too high when mounted, as the break of the tank will be below the top cam-band. Also, for doubles, it won't work for the same reason; the tanks will be too high even if you set up your own bands, and someone who has "standard" sets of doubles definitely will have problems as the holes simply won't line up with where the bolts are.

Genesis-

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused how to do this, however. If you look at the pics of my BP, the webbing seems to naturally course the back of the backplate, covering the bottom of the 2 holes. I'd have to bow the webbing vertically to get it to align with the top hole in order to put in a grommet.

The STA (Oxycheq as well) spans the plate fine, using either of the 2 sets of holes (note that there are 2 holes at the bottom of the plate as well, both obviously unobstructed, and equidistant from the top two holes). The height of the tank, however, was going to be my concern (haven't yet rented a tank to test the thing out).

Jim

GoBlue!:
If you look at the pics of my BP, the webbing seems to naturally course the back of the backplate, covering the bottom of the 2 holes. I'd have to bow the webbing vertically to get it to align with the top hole in order to put in a grommet.
Are you talking about this hole, that's melted into the strap using a sacrificial soldering iron tip?

Roak

roakey:
Are you talking about this hole, that's melted into the strap using a sacrificial soldering iron tip?

Roak

Yes, exactly.

What did you put through it, and where does your STA attach if diving a single tank?

Jim

GoBlue!:
Yes, exactly.

What did you put through it, and where does your STA attach if diving a single tank?

Sounds like Roak used a soldering iron, I've used a dremel and a lighter to clean/seal it but this is a two step method for us unfortunates without a soldering iron.

You can then attach the STA through that hole. You can use either set of holes, and will probably find that balance is primarily in one of them. Try it out for the best feel.

cd_in_SeaTac:
Sounds like Roak used a soldering iron, I've used a dremel and a lighter to clean/seal it but this is a two step method for us unfortunates without a soldering iron.

You can then attach the STA through that hole. You can use either set of holes, and will probably find that balance is primarily in one of them. Try it out for the best feel.

I should've clarified.... I noted that he sacrificed a soldering iron tip to melt through the webbing; I was wondering what he put through the hole he was left with - a grommet of some sort, as genesis did?

Jim

Lets hope it all comes together so you can go diving soon. If this is your first BP/W set up then you are in for a treat. It's a great way to dive, at first it may take extra time above water but the real pay off is underwater where the tank is one with your body and doesn't move, the same can be said for twins. It an allround solid and sound set up for all sorts of diving. Enjoy.

I have a $4.99 soldering iron I bought from someplace cheap which has only one purpose in life - to burn holes through things. It works great, but the tip is pretty gross now. I sure as heck wouldn't want to do any soldering with the thing.

Back
Top Bottom