Setting up BP/W - Questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, all-

As I mentioned in another post recently, just got my bp/w recently & am setting up for the first time w/ only the internet & scubaboard to help, as I don't have LDS support here....

First, to all in a similar situation: please feel free to use this thread to post any & all questions re: setting up any component of your bp/w. Don't mind this thread being hijacked in many directions, as long as all relate to bp/w setup/configuration questions.

Second, I remember a couple months back reading a treatise by one of our members about his blow-by-blow account of setting up his bp/w, also without the help of his LDS. Couldn't find it again with our pesky search engine; if anyone remembers who/where this post was, please direct me.

OK. I think I've got my shoulder strap lengths OK, the harness webbing threaded correctly, and the shoulder & left hip D-rings in place as they're supposed to be (although I'll post some pics eventually for comments). Now, I'm staring at the photos of the waist strap buckle....right hand release obviously & way over on the R hand side, I see. But, does the buckle get threaded onto the right or left side of the waist band? I'm looking at the pic on this website, half-way down the page, and it seems that the way the buckle is being threaded it will either end up being a (1) left-hand release, if threaded onto the R-side of the waiststrap; or, a (2) right-hand release, if threaded onto the L-side of the waiststrap. Every schematic I've seen, however, shows the buckled being threaded on the right. Basically, I'm staring at my buckle confused. Can someone help??

Second question: I've read that connecting a bolt-snap to the SPG can be accomplished with thin zipties or with cave line. Both equally acceptable? Both DIR?

Third: How about the bolt-snap to the long hose? Should I use a breakaway connection, and if so, what is recommended? O-ring? Thin ziptie?

I'm sure more questions are going to pop up, but this'll get things started. Thanks to all for your help in equipment selection; I'm totally psyched about this system.

Jim

A) my website has some links to proper BP setup. Check it out - link is below.

B) In answer to your questions, I haven't attended DIR-F, but from perusal on these boards:

The buckle should be on your right hand side, and is a right-hand release. Zip ties are unacceptable in a DIR configuration - they break too easily. Use cave line. And the long-hose is now being considered a non-breakaway connection. Also use cave line.

Hope that helps.

GoBlue!:
Hello, all-

As I mentioned in another post recently, just got my bp/w recently & am setting up for the first time w/ only the internet & scubaboard to help, as I don't have LDS support here....

First, to all in a similar situation: please feel free to use this thread to post any & all questions re: setting up any component of your bp/w. Don't mind this thread being hijacked in many directions, as long as all relate to bp/w setup/configuration questions.

Second, I remember a couple months back reading a treatise by one of our members about his blow-by-blow account of setting up his bp/w, also without the help of his LDS. Couldn't find it again with our pesky search engine; if anyone remembers who/where this post was, please direct me.

OK. I think I've got my shoulder strap lengths OK, the harness webbing threaded correctly, and the shoulder & left hip D-rings in place as they're supposed to be (although I'll post some pics eventually for comments). Now, I'm staring at the photos of the waist strap buckle....right hand release obviously & way over on the R hand side, I see. But, does the buckle get threaded onto the right or left side of the waist band? I'm looking at the pic on this website, half-way down the page, and it seems that the way the buckle is being threaded it will either end up being a (1) left-hand release, if threaded onto the R-side of the waiststrap; or, a (2) right-hand release, if threaded onto the L-side of the waiststrap. Every schematic I've seen, however, shows the buckled being threaded on the right. Basically, I'm staring at my buckle confused. Can someone help??

Second question: I've read that connecting a bolt-snap to the SPG can be accomplished with thin zipties or with cave line. Both equally acceptable? Both DIR?

Third: How about the bolt-snap to the long hose? Should I use a breakaway connection, and if so, what is recommended? O-ring? Thin ziptie?

I'm sure more questions are going to pop up, but this'll get things started. Thanks to all for your help in equipment selection; I'm totally psyched about this system.

Jim

Boogies site has a pretty good how to on threading the harness.

As for the buckle - It should be on the strap coming from your left side, which makes it a right hand release. The DIR folks like it off-center to the right side to prevent the crotch strap from opening the buckle if you are scootering.

To answer questions 2 & 3 - DIR likes bolt snaps to be attached with cave line. I think Zip ties are awesome (as are duct tape, bungies and blue tarps - just ask any true blue Alaskan!) - you just have to replace them more often.

GoBlue!:
Hello, all-

<snip> (2) right-hand release, if threaded onto the L-side of the waiststrap. Every schematic I've seen, however, shows the buckled being threaded on the right. Basically, I'm staring at my buckle confused. Can someone help??

When you put it that way it confuses me too. Look at this picture:
http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/backplate_top_r.jpg
and you will clearly see which side it's on. You'll be able to deduce the rest from there.

Either zipties or caveline work just fine for the spg. You might fine line a bit sturdier on the long run.

I would (do) use an O-ring. you wrap the o-ring 1/2 way around the hose and then thread the line or a ziptie through the two sides of the o-ring to tie off. Obviously in this case the ziptie is easier to work with.

Jim[/QUOTE]

I use an O-ring on the long hose. DIR may want a non-breakaway connection, but I want it to break away if I need it to.

If its clipped off and the clip jams for any reason, I MUST be able to get that reg free IMMEDIATELY if my buddy goes OOA. Taking the time to CUT it free is unacceptable. That reg is there for the pleasure of my buddy.

I accept the risk of losing the clip-off capability if I break the O-ring unexpectedly in exchange for the safety factor of being able to QUICKLY get that reg free and available if I need it.

IMHO the DIR folks are wrong on this one.

Well, actually in an OOA, the correct response would be to donate whats in your mouth. So, if your seven foot hose is clipped off, you wouldnt donate it. YOu would then breath off of your backup which is right under your chin on a necklace...

Buckle is threaded on the left hand (as you wear it) strap, which needs to be long enough so the buckle ends up right of center after going through your crotch strap. A second buckle is often used on the right strap to retain the can light. This buckle is not threaded, just clamped.

All snaps are tied on with cave line, one good way is explained here: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml
which also tells how to do the non-DIR breakaway method.

WW

WreckWriter:
All snaps are tied on with cave line, one good way is explained here: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml
which also tells how to do the non-DIR breakaway method.

Is the breakaway method non-DIR? In JJ's book, referring to the long hose, it's stated "When not in use, e.g., during stage diving or during decompression, this regulator is clipped off to the right chest D-ring using a breakaway clip." (p. 82) Have they changed their tune?

Jim

<shrug> My definition of what is/isn't comes from George. He told me that rebreather bailouts are the only thing that gets a breakaway. I'm not sure what GUE is currently teaching but I think its cave line attachment.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom