Setting up a liveaboard operation from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kheldz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there,

im posting this thread in hopes to hear from experienced divers and operators out there what it takes to set up a liveaboard operation from scratch.

When I say scratch i mean all the way from picking the right suitable vessel (6 cabins or 15 pax), fixing it up all the way thru to the getting the dive operation up and running.

Identify a niche and fill it. Find a location, price point, level of service, etc., where there is demand that is unmet, that you can meet. I don't think there is a lot of unmet demand in the industry right now, but good luck.

Work on an existing liveaboard for at least a year to learn the details of the business, on somebody else's dime. Ideally in a capacity that lets you see the cash flows.

Read about the rise and fall of Nekton to glean some good insights into specific niches that they exploited successfully for a while, and also get some lessons in what not to do:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/liveaboards-charter-boats/333413-nekton-bad-news.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/liveaboards-charter-boats/346525-nekton-boats-may-come-back.html

You should not be asking this question of divers, but rather MBA's and succesful businesmen.

The business is all about filling the boat week in and week out while keeping costs low enough to run a profit.

Figure out how you are going to fill the boat with divers every week. Then build the infrastucture around that plan.

Aggressor is more of a marketing campaign than a boat opperator - though I think their service is good. Speaking to the captain on one trip, he mentioned that some boats were privately owned, but contracted into Agressor / Dancer for the benefits of advertising and booking being handelled outside of running the boat. Sounds to me that running the boat is only half the business.

I often fantasize about what you are proposing. As a solo professional who has been a business owner for the past 30 years, the first thing you need to know is that running your own business is about the hardest way to make a living there is, particularly in the current political climate which is NOT business friendly. That being said, the first thing you need is capital- real money, not loans, to get started. A you raise the money, you should go on as many different livea board operations as you can, from top of the line franchises like Mike Ball, Explorer Ventures and the Aggressor Fleet and the like, to small independents like the Easy Goin' out of Fort Lauderdale, it they are still operating. That is, if you are doing your investigation here. I am clueless as to business operating factors in Dubai. I gues once you decide where you are going to operate, and what country will be licensing you, then you should focus on on concessionaires and businesses there.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

The suggestion about working on someone else's boat is 100% right, as far as a niche I would cater to the novice OW diver. As far as I know no one dose that and if you go on Scuba Board any time of the day or night there are almost as many people viewing the New & Basic rooms as there are every other room put together so the market is there. Keep the dives shallow, hire instructors not dive masters and sell it as free on going training for the price of a charter dive. Everyone on this site seems to trash the new OW diver and the new divers are reluctant to go out on charters with a group of divers who are sure they know it all. I do not see how you can miss. Where are you planning on operating this boat from?

MBA & Businessman here to tell you its a tough business and location will be everything.

First figure out your market... you are an owner operator or will you do hotel and airline bookings (people need to get to you)?

I have often fantasized about running an operation like this: ~~ Valhalla ~~
They are partners and one partner does the booking half the year while the other captains and then they switch.

There's a joke around operators:

How do you make a small fortune with a dive boat?

[more] Start with a big fortune! [/more]

I'd speak with Frank Wasson, Captain of the Spree in Key West & TX Flower Gardens. He's Wookie on SB. He runs his own operation from marketing, booking, etc. Maybe take one of his trips.

I'd also second the comment about working on a boat for a while. Make your mistakes on someone else's dollar.

Unless you're independently wealthy and ready to squander a good bit of it, the fact that you're even asking the questions says you're not ready. From someone who has started three businesses from scratch.

I'd speak with Frank Wasson, Captain of the Spree in Key West & TX Flower Gardens. He's Wookie on SB. He runs his own operation from marketing, booking, etc. Maybe take one of his trips.

I'd also second the comment about working on a boat for a while. Make your mistakes on someone else's dollar.

Unless you're independently wealthy and ready to squander a good bit of it, the fact that you're even asking the questions says you're not ready. From someone who has started three businesses from scratch.

Maybe you'll listen to Frank more than Frank listened to me...??

I think it's a bit much to say someone's not ready to make the plunge into something like this simply because they're asking for (and hopefully listening to) input. But if you're new in the diving business, and/or haven't started up your own business, you'll be on a steep learning curve that in 95%+ of all cases takes lots of cash to keep up with. You're going to make mistakes, and your mistakes will cost you money. If you don't have the money, then one mistake may well shoot you in both feet. And of course boats, and all their associated high-dollar equipment, suck money at a prodigious rate, no matter how complex and complete and impressive your spreadsheets are.

The diving industry is a relatively small industry - the dive travel business is even smaller, and the liveaboard dive travel industry is a small subset of even that. Most of us know each other at least in passing. That means that being successful in this business requires some degree of politicking in order to successfully run the operation, because you're going to need others' help, input and advice. Filling the boat with paying guests is another story, and is another area in which success depends in many cases on who you know, and how successfully and for how long you've spent your marketing dollars to hammer people over the head and tell them that you're out there, available for charter, and have stuck it out long enough that (a) you know what you're doing and (be) you're trustworthy.

If you can keep up with all of the above, then think about whether you want to make your passion into your business, and have your passion all of a sudden be the source of all the stress and heartache and WORK in your life.

If you're good with that, then think about how good you are listening to others. If you're a long-time liveaboard diving aficionado, you know exactly how it should be done RIGHT - right? I flat-ass guarantee you that you're wrong - because on any boatload of people, others (and if you start a liveaboard, these'll be the ones that pay you to be there, establish your reputation, and tell others about your operation) will disagree with you on some material aspect of how you do what you're doing - even when they have far less experience. You have to know how to listen to others - your crew, guests, agents, etc - and keep learning how to do it better, because at the end of the day they're the ones that are keeping you in business in one way or another.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'm not saying don't do it - certainly the business has its rewards. But it's a capital-intensive, low margin business in the best of times, even when you successfully navigate lots of treacherous waters. You have to go into it with your eyes open, and no matter what I or anyone else tells you, be prepared for the feeling that no one was able to pry your eyes open even close to wide enough.

Good luck if this is what you choose to do!

- Clay

Back
Top Bottom