Setting the record straight about Princeton Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I just used 2 brand-new 3 LED primaries last weekend for two night dives in Ft. Lauderdale. No problems, and put out nice light. However, based upon this thread I am a little wary about durability, but optimistic about warranty coverage.

I have hauled my Princton lights along on many many dives and the only problem was when I flooded the blinking take marker light. My fault. No doubt about it. They replaced it, with batterys, no questions asked. It is like doing business with LL Bean or Cabelas. They certainly have my vote. Now, if I could just get Audi to fix my new A6

Divingguy:
However, based upon this thread I am a little wary about durability, but optimistic about warranty coverage.

I wouldn't be. I've had a couple for years and have yet to have a problem that I haven't caused.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that most problems are user caused, whether or not most would admit it. :wink:

Marc

My students have a knack for wrecking the smaller models with the twist-on caps. I stopped buying that type years ago.

Tec40's seem indestructible to me. The old Shockwave's are nice too.

One "problem" I've seen on the tec 40 is with using Energizer batteries. The shape of the negative terminal doesn't make reliable contact with the strap in the back of the battery compartment. Throw in some Duracell copper tops, and you're good to go.
I expect this issue probably exists with other makes and models?

We've got 2 Surges. Bulb fell/broke off when relatively new, during a dive (definitely not caused by user.) I sent both back figuring the other one would break soon and both were replaced no problem. The design of what passes for a bulb socket on that model seems pretty cheesy though. I also have a Shockwave II for quite awhile that's been fine.

I've been using Princton Tec for quite a while now and have never had a problem. From taking their torches down to 50+ mtrs, to headlamps to the top of Kilimanjaro, even using them in bush showers in the desert, the PTs have really stood up better than any other light i've used.

i think their very reliable.

Cheers,
JE

I used to use them caving.

I broke several of their headlamps. Two more flooded.

I have found the Tec 40s to be reliable and tough, but they are too bulky and heavy for caving use. I do use an Attitude caving, though.

It really depends on the model, but there are a lot of PT headlamps I totally avoid. Their battery closure designs leave much to be desired.

jonnythan:
It really depends on the model, but there are a lot of PT headlamps I totally avoid. Their battery closure designs leave much to be desired.

Amen to that! I forgot all about those things, but I've had a virtually brand-new PT headlamp (I think it was a Matrix) flood, and I'm on my second Aurora. I don't take the Aurora underwater, but those battery cases drive me nuts. They royally suck. Hopefully there's another model that has a better design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom