Set-up suggestions for underwater photography while snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

Besides my trusty GoPro Hero 3, I am currently without an underwater housing set-up - my point&shoot housing flooded two years ago, after five years of great usage and some contest-winning images. While I am interested in purchasing a new dive set-up at some point, I also have been thinking about something for snorkeling. I do enough snorkeling in a year that it would be worthwhile for me - if anything, potentially more worthwhile than a dive set-up.

My thoughts have been:

1 - Just get a dive housing for my Canon Rebel T4i/650D DSLR.

2 - Buy an Olympus micro 4/3 (EMP-1, EPL-2) and housing used; seems to be some solid $400-600 deals out there.

3 - Buy the new Nikon 1 AW1 ($800).

I work as a videographer (and occasionally photography work, too), so overall image quality is definitely a concern for me. At the same time, however, I don't want something too large and cumbersome for, say, snorkeling a quarter mile to reach that 'special spot.' And then there's the fact that having one set-up for both snorkeling and diving purposes could be nice (like options 1 and 2, but not 3).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom