Set-up and choose and Dive Rite wing !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, thanks for all your feedback. I have defined a set-up for my first wing. Before detailled that set-up, here is some information about me and how I dive (sorry if there are some mistake in english):
I am 1,92cm tall (6.299)
Weight 75Kg - 165Lb(US)
In warm water I dive with a 3mm wetsuit and 4Kg on the weight belt (8Lb)
The aim of that set-up is warm water with AL80 from resorts or liveabroad.

So here is the set-up based on an offer that I found on internet:
- Dive Rite basic harness
- Sea Elite EBS Stainless backplate (or maybe the aluminium one to reduce weight during travelling)
- Wing HOG 32Lb
- Dive Rite 2in Crotch Strap
- Dive Rite Cal Strap Stainless (*2)
- Dive Rite Single Tank Adapter

I still have two days to make the order :)

Cheers
Yvan

Unless you used the first wing with a back plate, I would reccomend you go with the soft Dive Rite Transpack system.

Otherwise you should get an aluminum back plate and figure which straps and wing you want to mount on it. For warm water a stainless steel back plate might weigh more than the weight belt you currently use. Most of teh other divers that have reccomended stainless steel back plates either dive cold water in a dry suit or use teh weight of the stainless steel back plate as their diving weight instead of a weight belt. The down side is you can't just "drop" your weights with that configuration if you have a problem.

With the Transpack you can use weight pouches on the harness that have a quick release bottom, or you can use a regular weight belt.

Also you listed a Sea Elite back plate and a Dive Rite harness. Make sure they are compatable before you order. I prefer to keep with one brand of equipment when possible so it all work together.

Unless you used the first wing with a back plate, I would reccomend you go with the soft Dive Rite Transpack system.

No offense, but why would you say this? There is no reason for the OP not to get a plate; that's what he wants, rightly so IMO.

Since he's using an STA, lining up the cam straps and the slots in the plate does not matter. Compatibility problem between a backplate and a HOG harness of different brands is a total non-issue, does not exist.

I also believe that ditchable weight in warm water is just not the important issue some people seem to think. I prefer diving with no ditchable weight, and I have NO PROBLEM swimming to the surface and staying there. I also know that I will never lose weight accidentally at depth.

IOW, the OP is buying a set up that makes sense for his needs.

For what its worth I use both a TransPlate and TransPak using the DiveRite Rec Wing.

When tech diving, using doubles I use my plate. When rec diving and general single tank diving I use the TransPac which is more comfortable, for me. If I had to pick one... I'd go with the TransPak since most my diving is via travel and the TransPak is more comfortable.

Also, I'm moving away from back mount doubles in favor of sidemount... again something the TransPak supports very well (via Nomad Butt Plate).

So with TransPak you have one rig that can do singles, doubles and sidemount.

I definitely second the recommendation that DiveRite makes great gear... and its all flexible and well made.

I have been diving Tanspacs for 15 years. People will bash me for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. A backplate is overkill for a single tank. The Transpac is far more comfortable above the water, and eqally comfortable in the water. The Transpac is extremely versatile too. Swap wings and then you can do doubles when you go down that road. While doing single tanks, you don't need the adapters.

My main piece of advice for you concerning Transpacs is make sure it is fitted appropriately and you get help setting it up. There are many different ways to customize and tweak it. Good guidance can really make a difference in comfort.

Good luck!

Hi,

I choosen the stainless backplate because normally I dive with 8Lbs with a 3mm wetsuit, so the aluminium looks too small even if it looks very interesting for travelling. Anyway, if I am wrong I can buy an Aluminium one and use the stainless with a bigger wetsuit or dry-suit. That set-up is flexible. I think I will buy one in order to be able to change my set-up later depending if I travel, if I stay here or for other wetsuit. There is no universal set-up for the different dive type. Concerning the Sea Elite backplate with a dive rite equipment, it is compatible. The aim of that set-up is to have a first BC/Wing for cold water. If the aiming change, the set-up will change too.

I was not really interested by the Transplate because of all discussions that I read in the forum. But everything is discussion, we are here for that and I appreciate your feedback.

Yvan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom