Set conservative mode or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreaminOfSand&Salt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off ... My wife and I are on our way to cert. with only openwater dives left to do and I am so glad I found this forum as I think it has steered us in the right direction for gear choices that we are extremely pleased with( Express Tech Deluxe, Apeks xtx 100, Standard luggage, Apeks Egress, Atomic masks, & Elite T3 with Backup Hog SPG ) - So, thanks for all the knowledge found here!

Now for the question for the Elite T3 - should we as new divers switch the conservative mode on?

Thanks Brian

Staying above 60 feet, which is the recommendation for new divers, will address conservatism. That is the case because the no decompression limits at those depths are long and you will likely run out of gas before approaching NDL. In practice working on good buyonacy control and having a plan for your gas usage is far more important to your safety. Injuries due to poor buoyancy control or running out of gas outnumber decompression injuries by more than 20:1, and it is more than that for shallow dives. Factors that should cause you be to more conservative on decompression include being cold or having a lot of physical activity during the dive. Your computer will not help you there, but you can help yourself by extending your time between 20 feet and the surface and taking a couple minutes for the last 10 feet. Computers are an imperfect tool.

If you are having a lot of buoyancy trouble, you are probably better served by just keeping your dives shallow, rather than changing the computer. As Mr. Cacharodon observes, new divers are most often limited by their gas consumption, rather than by decompression limits, so long as they observe the depth limits for their certification level.

Thanks for the reply

After reading on here the importance of good trim and proper weighting We are really working on trim and buoyancy (pool practice) and not relying on our bc because of being over weighted - we both use #4 in the pool and I think she could do with #2

We are booked the first week of June in Key Largo and then the last week of July in Cozumel - the bug has us (we have snorkeled and free-dived in quite a few places in the Caribbean, can't wait to do it breathing down there) - and I realize that we will not be setting any depth records in the Keys nor do I want to even try but - and it may not matter at the depths we will be diving - The conservative factor on the Elite was the only real setting I didn't know how it would apply to us.

Thanks

Meaning to set depth records and doing so are two different things, remember when you're diving in the tropics to keep an eye on your gauges because something catching your eye and you losing track of depth is quite common and can result in injury when you're not planning to go 40ft deeper than your planned max by the boat.

As far as conservatism for a computer, I'd say it depends on your dive profile and if that extra conservatism will make you feel safe. Dive planning prior to getting wet and using your gauges and computers to adhere to that is probably the most conservative thing you can do when interacting with a computer. They're there to make sure you dive according to your plan, when you just jump in and let it take you for a spin that's when injuries become more common.

My older primary computer was an Aeris Manta (same decompression algorithm as the Elite T3). I preferred to dive conservative and used the conservative factor - it is a noticeable change, however I never felt limited by the reduced NDL. I use a Suunto Vyper Air now for primary with the 50% RGBM setting and the Suunto typically gives more bottom time than the Manta. If you know of the conservative reputation of Suunto, that's saying something.

End of the day, if you want to dive conservative, put the setting on. But still respect your dive plan and what the computer is telling you. Just because a conservative factor is on is no reason to push the limits of the computer.

Personally I'd recommend leaving the computer in the bag/car or use it in gauge mode and plan your dives using tables and stick to that plan. I don't allow students to use a computer for anything other than a device to stick to the plan that they developed and laid out using tables. All dives in my Advanced and Specialty classes are conducted the same way. I have seen too many people made stupid by relying on the computer.

Personally I'd recommend leaving the computer in the bag/car or use it in gauge mode and plan your dives using tables and stick to that plan. I don't allow students to use a computer for anything other than a device to stick to the plan that they developed and laid out using tables. All dives in my Advanced and Specialty classes are conducted the same way. I have seen too many people made stupid by relying on the computer.

Did they recover?

I think it's fine to use your computer. You'll have significant problems with dive operators if you don't; they plan the profiles for their groups based on computer use, not table use. (Tables, because they assume square profiles, are far more conservative than computers are, because computers give you credit for the time you spend in the shallows.)

Again, gas is more important . . . before your trip, do yourselves a favor and read NW Grateful Diver's Gas Management article. This is information you almost certainly don't have, and it's important. Once you sit down and start calculating dive time based on your gas consumption, you'll understand that it will likely be some time before no-decompression limits are very relevant.

Back
Top Bottom