Servicing Scubapro in bangkok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My regs are a year and half now and about 120 dives on them, I figure its time to get them serviced before going on a liveaboard. Any recommendations of where I should get this done in Bangkok? Preferably some place I can get to via BTS/MTR?

Most convenient shop for me is Mermaid's bangkok, but they never answer their phone...

The main Scubapro dealer in Bangkok is Dive Supply. Just a short walk from Phaya Thai BTS Station.

Bangkok Dive Supply
457/4 Sri- Ayudhaya Road
Tung-Payathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok
10400 Thailand

Tel : +66 (0) 23 544 815
Fax : +66 (0) 23 544 819
Email : contact@divesupplybkk.com

I gave em a call and they said it would be 4,000 to 5,000 baht, which is over 25% of the purchase price of my regs (MK17/R395). They did tell me that I could get it done cheaper at other dive shops, but they didn't recommend any. Same thing happens when I ask about gear, as a wholesaler, they point me towards other retailers for discounts.

The main Scubapro dealer in Bangkok is Dive Supply. Just a short walk from Phaya Thai BTS Station.

Bangkok Dive Supply
457/4 Sri- Ayudhaya Road
Tung-Payathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok
10400 Thailand

Tel : +66 (0) 23 544 815
Fax : +66 (0) 23 544 819
Email : contact@divesupplybkk.com

I think you have several optons:
First, is something wrong with the way the regs are working, if not keep diving them, some models of regs can go years/100's of dives without servicing (that said some don't)
Second option spend even more on a course form Steve buy the tools and only have to buy the parts kits from now on. Probably your cheapest option in the long run
Third - Pay Steve his rate, I haven't used him, but I have seen his shop and beleive he will do a good job (which is not always the case)
Forth option - If you can get a set of regs for 25% less than what you were quoted for the service buy them. It sounds like you got a killer deal, I doubt you get it again, in which case your point about the cost is invalid
Fifth option find a someone to do it cheap, you might get what you pay for. Rebuilds/servicing although easy amazingly enough seems to get screwed up in the US with astonishing regularity.

Fifth option find a someone to do it cheap, you might get what you pay for. Rebuilds/servicing although easy amazingly enough seems to get screwed up in the US with astonishing regularity.

Over the years I have had similar experiences as are described here. Send functioning regulators for a routine service and after start getting problems with them.
I have found the best option is (If you want something done correctly do it yourself). I have serviced my own gear for years now, it really is not difficult and if you have simple reg's the need for special equipment is minimal and quite inexpensive.
Then you have the benefit of being able to service your regulators around your own diving schedule, so no more missed dives or having to rent kit whilst waiting for services to be done.

I gave em a call and they said it would be 4,000 to 5,000 baht, which is over 25% of the purchase price of my regs (MK17/R395). They did tell me that I could get it done cheaper at other dive shops, but they didn't recommend any. Same thing happens when I ask about gear, as a wholesaler, they point me towards other retailers for discounts.

I must agree that does seem rather expensive for a service.
UK rates for reg servicing are around £40 - £50 which is around half that.
Another good reason to do your own, what you will save will soon recoup the initial outlay for any tools or equipment you have to purchase.
Particularly those of us that use several regulators, at 4000 - 5000bt a time costs would soon become signigicant.

I don't understand point 4. I spent 16,000 baht on a Mk17/R395 and R295 octopus. You can get that set now for about 18,000 baht at many shops in Thailand without any haggling. 4 to 5,000 baht would be over 25% of my purchase price (excluding SPG).

There's currently nothing wrong with the regs, and i'm increasingly leaning towards leaving them be.

I think you have several optons:
First, is something wrong with the way the regs are working, if not keep diving them, some models of regs can go years/100's of dives without servicing (that said some don't)
Second option spend even more on a course form Steve buy the tools and only have to buy the parts kits from now on. Probably your cheapest option in the long run
Third - Pay Steve his rate, I haven't used him, but I have seen his shop and beleive he will do a good job (which is not always the case)
Forth option - If you can get a set of regs for 25% less than what you were quoted for the service buy them. It sounds like you got a killer deal, I doubt you get it again, in which case your point about the cost is invalid

IMO, it would be a very long run!

The courses for servicing ScubaPro regs aren't all that cheap, and you can really only make up the cost of the course + tools with several years service when working on a single reg set. For one thing, the initial course runs about 5K, which will not even get you though the servicing of the MK 17, for which you will need a second 5K course. It does provide all the schematics, though. If you're mechanically inclined, you can probably follow along well enough even without the course if you can get hold of the schematics (which give torque values and other critical information) and the DVD.

The tools are also sort of expensive, with several of them being specific to ScubaPro (such as the regulator cover tool), and if you don't already own a torque wrench, that's a pretty big outlay as well. If I added up the cost of all my tools (including torque wrench), ultrasonic cleaner machine, courses, etc. I'm pretty sure it would come to 30K-40K or maybe more. I have made this investment in time and tools since my school gear is ScubaPro, but my own main set of personal regs are Aqualung, and I send them off for service rather than do it myself simply because I don't want to invest in yet another set of tools and another couple of courses (to get to the balanced reg level) for just one set of regs.

Hey there, I don't know if it is any use to you but I am in South Korea and am a certified sherwood tech and have some experience servicing scubapro

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom