Servicing Poseidon Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Guys, I just came across a couple of old Poseidons. I know there are specialized tools to work on these regs but I would prefer not to spend lots of money on a reg that I may not ever see again. The regulators in question are a 3590-M and a 2960.

Is there a way to get the seat out of these first stages without the "special" tool? Are there any must-have tools for servicing these regs and where do you get them?

Thanks

You MUST have the special wrench to get the end caps off. That is the 27mm socket on that page or you can grind down a 27mm wrench *not recommended, the socket is way better than the crows foot that Poseidon specs*.

The $25 for the first stage tool set is well worth it in my opinion

You MUST have the special wrench to get the end caps off. That is the 27mm socket on that page or you can grind down a 27mm wrench *not recommended, the socket is way better than the crows foot that Poseidon specs*.

The $25 for the first stage tool set is well worth it in my opinion
Thanks for the reply....

I agree $25 is fine.

Now, for the "must" have wrench to get end caps off... I am not sure what you mean. I was able to disassemble the 2960 without any issues using a crow's foot and face pin spanner.... Is the 3590-M first stage different?

I am not against spending another $40-50 but just checking as to the real need.

Thanks again for the info.

if you have the thin 27mm crows foot then you don't need the socket, most people do not
Thanks for the clarification!

Is there a way to get the seat out of these first stages without the "special" tool? Are there any must-have tools for servicing these regs and where do you get them?

Thanks

Take a look at this tool:

The metal end is used to push the seat out, the plastic seat is used to put the new one in. Instead of using this tool, use any similar thin but blunt probe to remove, and use a wooden dowel to insert.

Take a look at this tool:

The metal end is used to push the seat out, the plastic seat is used to put the new one in. Instead of using this tool, use any similar thin but blunt probe to remove, and use a wooden dowel to insert.
OK, so the Cyklon is different than the Jetstream. Thanks

OK, so the Cyklon is different than the Jetstream. Thanks
No, the Cyklon and Jetstream models all share the same first stage seats. A domestic source for specialized tools can be found at www.silentexplorers.com

The black drift below, is used to install it; and the left arm of the combination tool is used to remove it . . .

Attachments

• D4585AB4-FA50-4AE7-87C1-FF23C382ADF0.jpeg
    D4585AB4-FA50-4AE7-87C1-FF23C382ADF0.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 55

That tool is shown removing the seat from a Cyklon / Thor 300, a model series discontinued nearly thirty years ago -- not a more contemporary model where seats are no longer pushed out, in that manner.

These appropriate tools, from the same source, are intended, for the later models, of both Jetstream and Cyklon, and mimic the combination tool and drift in the previous post:

I just rebuilt my 2960 without any of the special tools. First first stage rebuild.

I used a long bamboo skewer to get the seat out and a 90 degree pick as the 'flat top' to seat it. Doesn't take much force so you won't mar the plastic. Just be smart and gentle

Back
Top Bottom