Servicing Poseidon Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just rebuilt my 2960 without any of the special tools. First first stage rebuild.

I used a long bamboo skewer to get the seat out and a 90 degree pick as the 'flat top' to seat it. Doesn't take much force so you won't mar the plastic. Just be smart and gentle

That's great; but I've also removed, on occasion, wooden fragments from first stages, from what may have been skewer use; so too, bits of plumber's tape and rubber fragments from what may have been good, old pencil erasers, used as a drift -- all just enough to scour pistons, damage seats, and eventually wreak havoc with the IP . . .

I just bought a few of these

910sUHO14ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Next a lathe!

That's great; but I've also removed, on occasion, wooden fragments from first stages, from what may have been skewer use; so too, bits of plumber's tape and rubber fragments from what may have been good, old pencil erasers, used as a drift -- all just enough to scour pistons, damage seats, and eventually wreak havoc with the IP . . .

That's no fun! With all the carb and engine rebuilds/tuning I do, I tend to be very careful about what gets the seal of approval before I move on. For me, a spec of anything is taken care of. I always find small pieces of lint/hair/foreign material in food I eat. The girlfriend has no idea how I spot it.

Without a doubt there are people who dont put the same amount of time and effort in what they do. Often times I find they are the same people who are not interested in speccing and just slap things together, or hire a service.

I just rebuilt my 2960 without any of the special tools. First first stage rebuild.

I used a long bamboo skewer to get the seat out and a 90 degree pick as the 'flat top' to seat it. Doesn't take much force so you won't mar the plastic. Just be smart and gentle

Thanks... My shop just became a Poseidon dealer and I am getting certified November 12th to work on them. Looks like I will be investing on some tools. :wink:

I'm actually fairly disappointed in the Poseidon seat removal tool, especially given its cost. The 0.5mm ledge you need to catch the seat from behind is not square enough.
You need this:
Screenshot_20211022-173827_Samsung Notes.jpg

You have this:
Screenshot_20211022-173827_Samsung Notes_1.jpg

I'm going to take a thin file to mine and see if I can't improve it.

Here are yet further reasons why you should learn to just service your own equipment.

A friend recently returned from her first vacation, post-covidiocy, and was complaining that her recently-serviced regulator had an unstable, creeping IP, after US 150.00 in parts and labor charges, from her friendly, local Midwest LDS.

I volunteered to take look at it -- a 2950 as it turns out; and here is the little treasure that I had found -- a splinter of brass (see below), wreaking havoc among her pressure spring and valve piston, whose source I have been unable to determine.

In the photo, the base of that service tool is about 9 mm across . . .

Attachments

• C7F36070-1E6E-45C4-9B02-7C9EC51E69CD.jpeg
    C7F36070-1E6E-45C4-9B02-7C9EC51E69CD.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 77
It is not the learning that stops most people from servicing their own gear nor even the special tools but the difficulty of wrasseling up the needed parts can be a high hurdle. It is also why many who do service their own gear tend to specialize in one or two brands or even more myopic, one or two models so as to make it easier to accumulate a critical mass of parts and other bits needed to do so. And then dive them forever and forever.

James

It is not the learning that stops most people from servicing their own gear nor even the special tools but the difficulty of wrasseling up the needed parts can be a high hurdle. It is also why many who do service their own gear tend to specialize in one or two brands or even more myopic, one or two models so as to make it easier to accumulate a critical mass of parts and other bits needed to do so. And then dive them forever and forever.

James
That may be true for some brands; but Poseidon service kits, at least, have been sold at retail outlets, for some time; so too, many spare parts, etc . . .

That may be true for some brands; but Poseidon service kits, at least, have been sold at retail outlets, for some time; so too, many spare parts, etc . . .
I now have a Poseidin Jetstream so I am interested in learning but I also seem to know a fella or two who are experts on them. So when the time comes it may visit it's papa. I do good to keep USD, AL and Scubapro stuff on hand sufficient to maintain my general fleet.

But, just saying, I have never to my recollection ever seen a Poseidon product for sale in an LDS, much less a part. But I was just making a general statement, if one likes Poseidon, or Scubapro or whatever, start with a single model, build the knowledge, gather the tools and collect the parts. Of course, some people should not touch tools, some few are gifted and most of the rest of us fall somewhere in between, with a little help and guidance learning to service a few specific regulators is not a such huge thing. But the industry does put up hurdles and one of them is acquiring an inventory of parts.

This one will ride shotgun to my Argonaut but I have also set up a nice Tekna Mark V clone first stage to 123 psi IP so the Jetstream can be king of it's own castle, er, uh, first stage.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom