Servicing my Aqualung Titan regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEW2SCUBA19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wondering if anyone has serviced their Aqualung Titan regulator set before. I am wondering where to get my kit and also if there are any special tools needed for doing this. My friend said it's pretty simple to DIY and my LDS is not trustworthy. Would appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

I am wondering if anyone has serviced their Aqualung Titan regulator set before. I am wondering where to get my kit and also if there are any special tools needed for doing this. My friend said it's pretty simple to DIY and my LDS is not trustworthy. Would appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

Hi NEW2SCUBA19,

Go here to find the service manual for your Titan:

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/aqualung/

Download and study the service manuals for your first and second stage to get an idea of what is involved in rebuilding your regulator.

You will need some "special" tools (although in most cases you can improvise if you are creative). You will need an IP gauge, compressed air...

And you'll need a complete understanding of what you are about to undertake before taking hard steel tools to that soft marine brass regulator...

The rebuild is not hard if you have basic mechanical skills, work carefully, and pay strick attention to detail. But you do need to understand what you are doing before you begin.

There are lots of folks here (and also in the regulator section) who are happy to give you advice and tips, but you do need to do your homework, and ultimately decide if this is something you are comfortable with.

I'd highly recommend Vance Harlow's book (in conjunction with the service manual):

Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers

and also Pete Wolfinger's book:

Scuba Tools

Best wishes.

The Titan is not too hard to rebuild and it can be done with no special tools however it is a real pain in the rear to assemble the HP assembly with out a HP assembly tool. If you want one, drop me a PM and we can talk about them. Another item you really need is a pair of clip ring pliers. Get a good set, the cheap ones just don't do a good job. Other than those 2 items the rest of the hand tools are common. You will also need an IP gauge and it helps to have a magnehelic or manometer to adjust the second stage. The biggest problem you are going to have is getting kits, AL is pretty good about keeping them off the market but they can be had if you work at it.

An inexpensive way to decide if you really want to give this a try is to buy an old Conshelf first stage either locally or off ebay, the model does not matter. They sometimes go for less than $20 and internally the first stages are exactly alike, with one exception, the Titan has a removable HP volcano orafice, the Conshelf's is machined into the body. They use the exact same rebuild kit and the intenal parts (other than the orfice and maybe the pin- not sure about that one) are interchangeable. You can take the ebay one apart, clean, lube and assemble it until you are confident you can do the job....and if you put a kit in it, you will have a prefectly good back up reg to boot....after all, the Titan just a Conshelf with a modern outter skin.

Thanks to you both. I will be undertaking this project with my friend helping, but I like to research stuff before I start tearing stuff apart. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom