Servicemens park silt. is it still bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba guy ron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Last year me and my dive buddy avoided servicemens park because of the heavy layer of silt. Is it better or worse then last year? Were planning on heading down on Friday morning 4/8 from Cleawater. :confused:

Regardless of silt there,... Viz is going to be very minimal..the two cold fronts and all the rain have turned the water to milk.. there isn't even 4' of viz on the surface @ 30fsw... Beach dives would be very tough.. On the brighter side, :D surf is nice and calm so you wont get beat up,. and we have the Venice Shark Tooth fest fri, sat, and sun! I haven't seen the silt as bad as it was last year. If you do go threw w/ the dive please post a Viz and conditions report! :wink:... Our conditions look to improve for the next 5-7 days, so the longer you can hold off the better..

thanks rick, were gonna be heading down tomorrow am. hopefully we'll have atleast a couple of feet vis .....after all thats all you really need. we dont have any other plans so well be there and I'll post an update.

I dove the Boneyard mid-October of last year and the silt was really bad. I'm planning to come back in September, so I was wondering if the silt is a seasonal thing? Am I just planning trips in the wrong time of the year? Thanks.

It is somewhat seasonal to a degree... some areas that get many inches of silt may stay coverd month to years.. but usually after rough seas we get a little silt here and there.. A few weeks of calm weather can help get rid of the silt tho.. Hope this helps... A few years ago there was a spot the size of a football field that was sweet! that spot now has 4-8" of muddy silt over it.. But when one spot closes up another opens.. your best bet is to check around other spots.. Service park is only one of the many beach entry spots.. Hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom