service regs??!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elkfriend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Folks,

Today I picked up a nice set of Oceanic Alpha 8 reg, with octopus and console w. computer etc. - used for less than 100 bucks (included some other stuff too).

I went to a diveshop to show it to them and we hooked it up to a tank, it worked perfect.

Now here is my question: of couse the shop recommends to service the reg.

BUT: they want 69$ for a regulator service!

Is it just me or is this a lot? Also, it works fine, why should I service it? Can't I service it myself (any recommendations where to find a service manual online)?

any insight would help big time!

Cheers
chris

Not sure what the US$ vs C$ rate is but that actually seems like a reasonable price, esp if that includes parts. The going rate for reg service is somewhere in the $20-30 USD range plus parts. I am not a "service it every year" person but I do at least tear a "new to me" reg down, clean, replace anything I don't like the looks of and relube it before I dive it. Since I don't know it's history I want a good starting point to judge if from. As for servicing it your self, why not? There are really only a few reg designs and once you have the basics down, they are all just variations of the same few schemes, service manuals are nice but not necessary if you understand how they work.
I found the manual here. http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/oceanic/2. Stage/

Hello Folks,

Today I picked up a nice set of Oceanic Alpha 8 reg, with octopus and console w. computer etc. - used for less than 100 bucks (included some other stuff too).

I went to a diveshop to show it to them and we hooked it up to a tank, it worked perfect.

Now here is my question: of couse the shop recommends to service the reg.

BUT: they want 69$ for a regulator service!

Is it just me or is this a lot? Also, it works fine, why should I service it? Can't I service it myself (any recommendations where to find a service manual online)?

any insight would help big time!

Cheers
chris

The price is reasonable.
I would say it's not bad if it includes the parts. Depending on how time has passed after the reg has been serviced and how many dives it has on it after servicing I would have it serviced. You never know in which conditions it was used and for how long. Just to be on the safe side.

Considering the song you picked them up for, Having them serviced doesn't seem to bad of an investment. Better to have them serviced now and have that piece of mind rather than find out the hard way later.:D:wink:

I downloaded the manuals. The second stage is a basic design, pretty much generic and easy to repair, the only thing that may need replacing is the LP seat. The first stages that I looked at are Apex clones, rugged and fairly easy to repair. Look at the early Zeagle (or DiveRite) repair manual. It does a really nice job of describing how to repair these regs...all are Apex clones or in the case of the early Zeagles are rebranded Apexs.

I downloaded the manuals. The second stage is a basic design, pretty much generic and easy to repair, the only thing that may need replacing is the LP seat. The first stages that I looked at are Apex clones, rugged and fairly easy to repair. Look at the early Zeagle (or DiveRite) repair manual. It does a really nice job of describing how to repair these regs...all are Apex clones or in the case of the early Zeagles are rebranded Apexs.

I have the actual Oceanic repair manuals, so if anyone needs them, rather than fiddle with looking at Apeks or Zeagle manuals and trying to figure it out, just PM me.

Jim

If it works fine and passes all inspections, why service it? See the inspection checklist in the regulator forum.

If it works fine and passes all inspections, why service it? See the inspection checklist in the regulator forum.

I think that's the OP should decide if he wants to service it or not, the LDS cannot force him to do it - it's not a tank that they would not fill, it at his own discretion IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom